CD player in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluto

Does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive adapter/plug that will allow me to plug a cd/mp3 player into a standard aircraft microphone jack. I've heard there are some commercially available for around $10. Anyone? Thanks.

The mp3/cd player plug should be a standard 1/4 inch stereo plug. If you cannot find an adapter, you should be able to make one up in no time with parts coming from your every day electronics store (Radio Shack).

Yeah, tried it...

The problem was finding the microphone plug. Radio shack and the other electronics stores I tried don't carry them. I don't mind fabricating one for myself, but if there is one out there I can purchase I'd prefer it. My first attempt to put one together has been unsuccessful thus far. Thanks for the tip. Any others?

They sell ready-made cables for that, but you can make your own for less.

The microphone plug is a size that is not found outside aviation. The avionics guys call it a 'Narco plug'. You'll be able to find it at the local airport radio shop or online. Be prepared to spend about $12, since it's an airplane part!

I made my own adapter, just used the mic plug off an old non functioning headset I had laying around...
However, you need dropping resistors to keep the signal from the CD/MP3 player from being too high for the intercom - the intercom input is not amplified, and while the headphone plug on a CD player isn't exactly "high wattage" it is way beyond the input level of most intercoms. I used 2 2k ohm dropping resistors, and that seems to have done the trick well. I connected the ground (-) from both headphone signals together to the outer (-) plug on the mic plug, then connected the L and R audio each to a 2k resistor, and then connected those resistors to the middle connector on the mic plug (barrel).
This way, I get both left and right audio channels, but they are not shorted together. If you have a stereo intercom, then you can connect each resistor to it's respective audio channel, rather than together.
The tip on the mic plug should not be connected, as it is the PTT (grounded = PTT). Unless you want to broadcast your tunes for *everyone* :D:rolleyes:

Hi...

Here you go. Not quite $10, but I hope it helps. Say hello to the wife for me.

Regards

CD Headset Adapter

Last edited:
Were you looking for:
1) an adapter to plug a CD player into the mic jack (as in plug it into the intercom) of the aircraft

2) an adapter to plug headset into a CD player

I wrote about 1), but it seems most people are talking about 2).
Sorry if I misunderstood :cool:

The jack your looking for on most headset's except the Flightcom is made by Switchcraft. David Clarks use this microphone jack. Radio Shack will not help you with this since it is not a 1/4 inch plug.

Most headset repair places have replacement plugs that are not wired. You will need one of them, a long piece of wire and a 3.5mm standard jack for most CD/MP3 players.

If you good with a sodering iron, make sure you only have he shaft and the ring wired and not the tip of the plug. You won't hear anything if you wire the tip.

Flightcom.net has one for sale but they don't work with diffrent types of jacks.

They worked in some of our airplanes and not n others.
You could buy one of them and replace the plug with a switchcraft and it will work with everything.

Latest resources

Back