• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CBP Facility to be Opened in Abu Dhabi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A modest 3 bed townhouse villa in an expat community will cost you about $40,000 to rent per year.

Not bad. Here in the SFO area, my 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment costs me 18,000 per year. So a modest 3 bed townhouse will definitely put me down 40k easy.

General, you have one valid point - the value of living at home, in your home country, in your hometown, in your home state. How much is that worth depends on an individual and the individual circumstances.

For example, when my airline went under... I simply could not afford, nor did I think it was appropriate to go to the bottom of the list of some regional making less than I make in per diem now. Talk about exploitation of cheap "professional" labor....

You bring up FlyDubai as an example. They are equivalent of your ASA, Mesa, Compass, TSA, etc. The difference however, yes, their starting pay is far superior to Delta's, and Delta won't catch up to them for a great number of years because at FlyDubai, one will upgrade within 2 years and go on a different payscale. 2 of my good friends came to my current employer from FlyDubai. Do they fly into some less-than-desirable places? Yes. Delta flies to Lagos - talk about dodgy... I take FZ to Belgrade, rent a car, and drive to the Adriatic coast. Dodgy? Not by a long shot... Convenient? Very much so!

But here's something that a number of FZ pilots actually like - they only have 2 layovers system-wide which means they're home with family and don't miss out on much. Yes, night flights can suck... but to each their own.

Emirates... one of my best friends here is a B-777 captain at Emirates. The dude is 32 years old! You talk about crap destinations... I look at his schedules, and the guy doesn't do anything but Europe, US, or Brazil. Tehran? I think he's been there twice in 5 years - doesn't bid for it. He gets an occasional regional turn here, but that's it. However, he also gave me some nice pointers about Mauritius as I flew a trip down there... but he doesn't like going there despite that it's way cool because he wants to avoid late night/early morning starts like the return from MRU.

Etihad... ironically, I know a former Delta guy there who was a DEC on B-777. He took the lump sum after bankruptcy, and came out here. He couldn't be happier. He loves the flying he does, the money he makes - and in his words... "... timed everything perfectly, and couldn't be happier." Again, to each their own.

I fly corporate here, and let me put it this way... I don't eat crappy food at work, our catering does not consist of Subway sandwiches, KFC or Pizza Hut - I eat the Palace chef-prepared food whenever I leave base and get similar quality when abroad; I get treated with respect by my pax - unlike a number of my peers flying large cabin bizjets back home. I get a schedule so I can plan my social events or travel on my days off - get a minimum block of 7 off in a row. I get to see the world from a whole different perspective than even my Emirates/Etihad counterparts, or you.

But yes, you're right in that I'm not in own country, and that I'm a guest here. But when my employer pays for my kids' US college tuition in form of direct payment to the university, you think twice about leaving. I have the lifestyle here that I couldn't afford on Delta's pay. It's called "the golden handcuffs." I know I will go home at some point, but I'll go having seen the world, having made and saved a lot more money than most of my counterparts back home which will enable to me to retire on my own time, comfortably, and much sooner than the airline guys in the US.

Do I support CBP preclearance here? Absolutely. I think it's an excellent idea. Furthermore, if this fight is so important to ALPA, it reminds me of Wag The Dog... In my opinion, ALPA has contributed to the freefall of the pilot profession in the US by not holding certain thing sacred such as pensions, or scope, or pay, or quality of life for the vast majority of its members. Yet even furthermore, there is nothing stopping Delta or American or UAL from flying to Abu Dhabi or Dubai or Doha and utilizing the same benefit. Why don't they? Ask your CEO...

The ignorance and childishness of some of these replies... if you have to put down others to make you feel better about yourself, well... shows a lot about the quality of your airline's screening process and the psych tests/evals, etc.

Bottom line, to each their own...

Last edited:
General, you have one valid point - the value of living at home, in your home country, in your hometown, in your home state. How much is that worth depends on an individual and the individual circumstances.

For example, when my airline went under... I simply could not afford, nor did I think it was appropriate to go to the bottom of the list of some regional making less than I make in per diem now. Talk about exploitation of cheap "professional" labor....

You bring up FlyDubai as an example. They are equivalent of your ASA, Mesa, Compass, TSA, etc. The difference however, yes, their starting pay is far superior to Delta's, and Delta won't catch up to them for a great number of years because at FlyDubai, one will upgrade within 2 years and go on a different payscale. 2 of my good friends came to my current employer from FlyDubai. Do they fly into some less-than-desirable places? Yes. Delta flies to Lagos - talk about dodgy... I take FZ to Belgrade, rent a car, and drive to the Adriatic coast. Dodgy? Not by a long shot... Convenient? Very much so!

But here's something that a number of FZ pilots actually like - they only have 2 layovers system-wide which means they're home with family and don't miss out on much. Yes, night flights can suck... but to each their own.

Emirates... one of my best friends here is a B-777 captain at Emirates. The dude is 32 years old! You talk about crap destinations... I look at his schedules, and the guy doesn't do anything but Europe, US, or Brazil. Tehran? I think he's been there twice in 5 years - doesn't bid for it. He gets an occasional regional turn here, but that's it. However, he also gave me some nice pointers about Mauritius as I flew a trip down there... but he doesn't like going there despite that it's way cool because he wants to avoid late night/early morning starts like the return from MRU.

Etihad... ironically, I know a former Delta guy there who was a DEC on B-777. He took the lump sum after bankruptcy, and came out here. He couldn't be happier. He loves the flying he does, the money he makes - and in his words... "... timed everything perfectly, and couldn't be happier." Again, to each their own.

I fly corporate here, and let me put it this way... I don't eat crappy food at work, our catering does not consist of Subway sandwiches, KFC or Pizza Hut - I eat the Palace chef-prepared food whenever I leave base and get similar quality when abroad; I get treated with respect by my pax - unlike a number of my peers flying large cabin bizjets back home. I get a schedule so I can plan my social events or travel on my days off - get a minimum block of 7 off in a row. I get to see the world from a whole different perspective than even my Emirates/Etihad counterparts, or you.

But yes, you're right in that I'm not in own country, and that I'm a guest here. But when my employer pays for my kids' US college tuition in form of direct payment to the university, you think twice about leaving. I have the lifestyle here that I couldn't afford on Delta's pay. It's called "the golden handcuffs." I know I will go home at some point, but I'll go having seen the world, having made and saved a lot more money than most of my counterparts back home which will enable to me to retire on my own time, comfortably, and much sooner than the airline guys in the US.

Do I support CBP preclearance here? Absolutely. I think it's an excellent idea. Furthermore, if this fight is so important to ALPA, it reminds me of Wag The Dog... In my opinion, ALPA has contributed to the freefall of the pilot profession in the US by not holding certain thing sacred such as pensions, or scope, or pay, or quality of life for the vast majority of its members. Yet even furthermore, there is nothing stopping Delta or American or UAL from flying to Abu Dhabi or Dubai or Doha and utilizing the same benefit. Why don't they? Ask your CEO...

The ignorance and childishness of some of these replies... if you have to put down others to make you feel better about yourself, well... shows a lot about the quality of your airline's screening process and the psych tests/evals, etc.

Bottom line, to each their own...

hush! Don't tell Delta guy that, for some reason he is severely insecure about Emirates. Would hate to see him get all huffy puffy again. hahahahaha

remember, he is the Emirates expert "in absentia"

Last edited:
Please don't feed the troll.......

i enjoy it, its fun to watch the troll get all huffy puffy when everybody proves him wrong.

Then his only defense is to tell me to "enjoy the desert" and I laugh and say, "thank you" in fact i do enjoy the desert

But out of all seriousness, every American at Emirates has an exit strategy, most plan to spend 10 years here and retire and move back home.

Dubai isn't home, but most can tolerate it. I would rather spend 10 years in the desert (which isn't bad at all and 42 days a year vacation) and come home to America with $1.2 million and retire at age 45, versus work at Delta until age 65, and die 5 years later.

To each his own.

God this thread sounds like a bunch of 5th graders trying to see who's #ick is bigger. For those who have decided on making the desert or another foreign carrier their career, good for you. I am glad that you upgrade quickly, fly good equipment, and benefits are handsome. However, you also need to realize the number of US pilots who have the ability to live your life is probably under 1%. Sure when we're 25 and single, or heck 45 and single, it's extremely easy. And yes there are families over there as well, but good luck finding many wives who would move their kids to the desert so dad can pull gear on a 777. There's not many. And if you've found that special someone, congrats, but don't give me the "you can have this life too if you want it" attitude. For most of us it's unattainable...period. Families should come before this job, and if they don't then shame on you.

What should be proposed is a level playing field....no more gov't backed entities in the UAE, no more Em-Im backed loans, and no more US dollars going to invest in oil rich countries. When you have this you have competition. Let the US open up it's cities to more UAE flights, and see what happens. One thing is for certain, the level of service from the US airlines will have to change. PERIOD!

Originally Posted by Quack
One thing is for certain, the level of service from the US airlines will have to change. PERIOD!
Ding, ding, ding, ding!

And that will never happen until they fire all the Dinosaur FA's

Latest resources

Back