• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Caught with his pants down. (CHQ)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So get used to it, the pilots being hired today will be the ones facing situations they have never been trained on in the future. The question is, do their life experiences prepare them to handle it?

To use these two as the sample for the entire group of "pilots being hired today" is like using crews that land on taxiways as a sample for the entire make up of "pilots hired when you were hired."

So get used to it, the pilots being hired today will be the ones facing situations they have never been trained on in the future. The question is, do their life experiences prepare them to handle it?

You can't measure every single factor in proper decision making. Especially in aviation.

So how do we call an experience Delta 767 crew landing on a taxiway in ATL, and worst how bout the moron from midatlantic that will remember the restriction by putting the parking break handle to on while inflight!!!! do you care to know where the handle was a the time of touch down??? :/

You can't measure every single factor in proper decision making. Especially in aviation.

I go through training every year, but I have never been trained to a situation with one crew member stuck in the lav. So what? What's your point?

I don't see anything wrong with FOs actions. There was no immediate threat, so why not talk to ATC or to dispatch or to anybody else? They're there to assist you, right?

Nor you want to spiral down to a first grass strip within a gliding distance if you're not sure that there is an imminent threat to the a/c.

As far as Captain's actions, I don't really see anything wrong either. Imagine yourself stuck in the lav, unable to get out. There is friendly pax that tries to help, but you're still stuck there. What you do you do? You want to alert your crew, but they probably won't believe the passenger, right? They're in their fortress, peeking with suspicion through a peep hole. So you give him a password. What's the alternative?

So, before you convince yourself that your thousands of hours set you apart from regular folks (or the "regional guys"), look at the situation. It could happen that one day you will make an a$$ of yourself despite your experience. Has happened before, amigo.

Last edited:
I go through training every year, but I have never been trained to a situation with one crew member stuck in the lav. So what? What's your point?

I don't see anything wrong with FOs actions. There was no immediate threat, so why not talk to ATC or to dispatch or to anybody else? They're there to assist you, right?

Nor you want to spiral down to a first grass strip within a gliding distance if you're not sure that there is an imminent threat to the a/c.

As far as Captain's actions, I don't really see anything wrong either. Imagine yourself stuck in the lav, unable to get out. There is friendly pax that tries to help, but you're still stuck there. What you do you do? You want to alert your crew, but they probably won't believe the passenger, right? They're in their fortress, peeking with suspicion through a peep hole. So you give him a password. What's the alternative?

So, before you convince yourself that your thousands of hours set you apart from regular folks (or the "regional guys"), look at the situation. It could happen that one day you will make an a$$ of yourself despite your experience. Has happened before, amigo.

So, you have had time to think about this....and you still think they still made good decisions? Ok.

I thought the FO was right to not let the pax in, and to notify ATC. In my opinion there was no reason to hang out in flight once he had reason to suspect passenger and the Captain not returning to flight deck. Land the plane and sort out what happened in the back after.

The Captain made mistakes (in my view) by
1.)not identifying passenger with better English skills
2.)having pax pound on cockpit door vs. calling on interphone
3.)not exhausting all options before giving up-ie busting down door.
4.) giving up password under any circumstances.

How did he not know that the pax was responsible for jamming door?

So what you're saying is, if you're ever in a stressful situation, give sensitive security information to the first person you see (or hear) and hope for the best?

Pay attention to the comment made about not knowing if the passenger had jammed the door himself... it could happen. Sounds like one to add to the terrorist play book: keep flying different 50 seater routes until finally a pilot goes to the bathroom and then you lock him in there... of course you have the passenger reactions (like they are even paying attention) and then the FO didn't open the door so that is another obstacle for them... but hey!, it was worth the try... oh well, on to the next idea.

Latest resources

Back