• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a friend who is HK based on the A-330 flying pax. He mostly flies to the US west coast, lays over a while, and then back to HK. I've seen his schedule and it's mostly LAX, SFO, and YVR.

I'm not sure how long he has been with CX but it has not been for more than 1.5 or 2 years. He told me that he might be able to get US based fairly soon. It's a lot different than working for a US airline so I'd do some serious research before taking a job there. It's definitely not for everyone.

I got the impression, from several online sources, that Cathay was hiring US-based cargo pilots. Their bases were ANC, LAX, SFO, and ORD. From what's been posted here, is that NOT correct? Are most newhire cargo pilots HKG-based?

Peace

SF

A couple points,

We do not fly the A330 to the Western US, it does not have the required range. We fly the A340, however, to YVR (in Canada) but not to LAX. Los Angeles is scheduled all 744. If indeed with CX, and on an A340 (Hong Kong based), with about 2 years in company one would definately not be an FO. One would be a Second Officer. You are correct though, CX is very different from a US airline and it is not for everyone.

Cheers

How long would one have to be with Cathay before they could base advance to the US? I believe LAX and JFK are the only US domiciles, correct? Thanks. How is life for the family in HK?

TNPILOT said:
How long would one have to be with Cathay before they could base advance to the US? I believe LAX and JFK are the only US domiciles, correct? Thanks. How is life for the family in HK?

If you go to the freighter you start based in the US.Check out there website for Direct Entry First Officer program it explains it all.

Last edited:
I'm an direct entry FO based out of LAX. I had 2800hrs, mostly jet, when I applied, no airline experience, and about 1000hrs multi-engine jet PIC.

What usually happens is the frieghters originate out of LAX, JFK, or now ATL and DAL then we fly through a secondary city like JFK-ORD, ATL-DAL or LAX-SFO then all those flights go to ANC. From there the jet will go across the pond to HKG while the crew spends the night and grabs a flight to HKG the next day or fly a flight coming in from HKG to one of the other domestic cities. If the crew goes to HKG we will spend a night or 2 then do the reverse. 2 or 3 of those a month with max out our hours.
You have a remote possibility of doing some domestic Asia flights out of HKG for a couple of days before you return to the states.
During training almost all my flights were on the PAX 744 flying all around Asia and based out of HKG.
As far as being an FO, I fly with almost all US or Canadian nationals and only see HKG for a day or 2 at a time.
Second Officers will be on the A-340 or 744 PAX and WILL be based out of HKG for a while. There are ways to get to the states after a year or 2, but it usually involves commuting back to HKG. SO's usually fly the ultra long haul PAX flights HKG to Europe or to LAX, SFO, JFK.
Sometimes we have a HKG based SO fly with us on the frieghter, but usually our crew of 3 is a captain and 2 type rated FO's with one being a relief captain.

The US bases are LAX, JFK, ORD and ANC. Maybe ATL and DAL someday.

Life in HKG is what you make of it. I absolutly love the city and can't wait to be based there eventually, but some get island fever and don't want to move their kids there because of the bad pollution. The air is VERY bad, but they are taking measures to improve the quality.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back