• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay SO interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cathay uses SOs on 777, A340 and 744. Cathay calls the junior cruise pilot on the crew the SO. We're NOT talking about FEs.

Yes, we are still hiring SO's, it seems like most of them are going to the 777 as that's the expanding fleet. We do have SO's that operate on all of the aircraft. Generally when you upgrade to JFO, you'll remain on a like fleet..ie, a340 SO will go JFO on the a330, the boeing guys usually go to the 777. To take a North America base, you'd have to be on the fleet that serves the city you want to base in. For NA that's going to be the 777, or a340 for YVR. Otherwise the freighter route will get you based on the 744.

I suggest you drop in on the fragrant harbour forums for more detailed answers. We are still hiring SOs on all long haul fleets. As people upgrade, then they are replaced on that fleet, give or take a few. The total number of SOs has held pretty steady for the last few months, but we have been hiring many DEFO. Good luck joining as an SO, as you won't get any bypass pay for 42 months or something terrible, as the time to upgrade will probably be quite long. It is a good paid vacation, but you will get bored not flying. You will be assigned whichever aircraft they want you to have. Currently, all new JFO classes are going to the 330, regardless of previous fleet. Hope this helps you some.

box

I suggest you drop in on the fragrant harbour forums for more detailed answers. We are still hiring SOs on all long haul fleets. As people upgrade, then they are replaced on that fleet, give or take a few. The total number of SOs has held pretty steady for the last few months, but we have been hiring many DEFO. Good luck joining as an SO, as you won't get any bypass pay for 42 months or something terrible, as the time to upgrade will probably be quite long. It is a good paid vacation, but you will get bored not flying. You will be assigned whichever aircraft they want you to have. Currently, all new JFO classes are going to the 330, regardless of previous fleet. Hope this helps you some.

box

Where do the A330s typically fly out of HKG? Do they also fly the A340 or just the A330? Are we talking mainly intra-Asia or do they get some Europe and Middle East as well?

How do you get these guys to contact you? I have had my info online with them over a year and keep it up to date but never get a response.
Thanks

The 330s typically do more regional flying, as well as the bulk of our Australia stuff. I think the longest sector they do is Sydney maybe, around 10 hours. If you fly the 330, you will also CCQ and fly the 340. The 340 was going to JNB, AUK, and AMS, but the AMS is being taken over by 744 and the JNB may be the 777 soon. Looks like alot of Aus and India on the Airbus fleet. For the other post, just keep updating. We hired a ton of the Oasis guys when they went under, as well as integrating some DragonAir cargo guys. I think the hiring will probably slow some for a while.

box

Latest resources

Back