Cathay SO interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OARfan

Have quite a few questions about the interview process and position. How long do you have to be an SO before being an FO? I would appreciate any PM's on the gouge if anyone has it. Thanks

you have to be a SO for 12 months from the date of your line-check, which equates to about 18 months from date of hire. That will only apply if you bid over to the freighter. The JFO route is at about 2 years 8 months to start course....which also changes all the time.

How does it work at Cathay if you get hired as an SO with very little PIC time? Would I still be required to meet ATPL minimum requirements (ie: 500 pic) to make captain?

when you upgrade to FO, you get a P1 rating on the aircraft, which allows you to log PIC time while acting as relief commander. A lot of guys join with very little PIC time and make their way through the CX ranks.

Thanks for the reply ND pilot.

Do you know if they are still hiring SOs? I have had my app in for awhile and haven't heard anything.

A few questions...

Are SO positions available on all of the longhaul airplanes - 777, A340 and 744? Once you finish the obligatory 2 years and 8 months (on average I guess) of SO time, do you then bid the aircraft of your choice for FO if you are on the pax side? Or do you get assigned an aircraft type?

Can pilots on the pax fleet bid US bases eventually or are those only reserved for the freighter pilots? Do the US bases have to be served by your airplane type?

777,A340, and 744 SO? As in second officer or an FE with no A&P. Do you have SO's on your RJ?
Are SO positions available on all of the longhaul airplanes - 777, A340 and 744? Once you finish the obligatory 2 years and 8 months (on average I guess) of SO time, do you then bid the aircraft of your choice for FO if you are on the pax side? Or do you get assigned an aircraft type?

Can pilots on the pax fleet bid US bases eventually or are those only reserved for the freighter pilots? Do the US bases have to be served by your airplane type?

777,A340, and 744 SO? As in second officer or an FE with no A&P. Do you have SO's on your RJ?

Perhaps you should read the title of this thread d!ckhead. These are legit questions. Thanks for adding nothing to this discussion and wasting our time. Enjoy your beer.

Perhaps you should read the title of this thread d!ckhead. These are legit questions. Thanks for adding nothing to this discussion and wasting our time. Enjoy your beer.
Take it easy Johnson. It was a stupid question. I added the fact that you have know idea what a SO is, or the aircraft that require them.

Latest resources

Back