• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay SO interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I suggest you drop in on the fragrant harbour forums for more detailed answers. We are still hiring SOs on all long haul fleets. As people upgrade, then they are replaced on that fleet, give or take a few. The total number of SOs has held pretty steady for the last few months, but we have been hiring many DEFO. Good luck joining as an SO, as you won't get any bypass pay for 42 months or something terrible, as the time to upgrade will probably be quite long. It is a good paid vacation, but you will get bored not flying. You will be assigned whichever aircraft they want you to have. Currently, all new JFO classes are going to the 330, regardless of previous fleet. Hope this helps you some.

box

Whats bypass pay?
is time to upgrade to FO on freighter fleet long as well?
thanks

You receive bypass pay when your position on the SO seniority list is high enough to trigger. If there are 50 DEFOs junior to you, and you are 50 on the SO seniority list, then you should receive bypass pay. Problem is with the new contract that you are restricted from receiving this until 42 months I believe. Bypass pay puts you on JFO salary, which is a significant pay increase. You can theoretically switch to the freighter fleet after your first annual line check. Hope this helps.

box

You cannot CCQ onto the 340 as a JFO. CCQ after you upgrade to FO.

what is the first year SO pay and benefits??(No, smart answers please, just looking for good info. Thanks!!)

Basic SO salary year 1 is roughly 33,000 HKD per month. Hourly flight pay is paid in addition to basic salary. I cannot remember the SO hourly pay rates off the top of my head. SO housing allowance is roughly 32,000 HKD per month, as of today. Education allowance paid for children's school tuition , if applicable. Per diem also paid and is calculated on layover port costs and is paid in cash at check in counter of hotel.

With regards to KA/Oasis joiners, 70 ex-KA cargo officers elected to join. While only 60 out of 170 of the Oasis pilots decided to join.

You receive bypass pay when your position on the SO seniority list is high enough to trigger. If there are 50 DEFOs junior to you, and you are 50 on the SO seniority list, then you should receive bypass pay. Problem is with the new contract that you are restricted from receiving this until 42 months I believe. Bypass pay puts you on JFO salary, which is a significant pay increase. You can theoretically switch to the freighter fleet after your first annual line check. Hope this helps.

box

thanks boxjockey

Latest resources

Back