Cathay Pacific

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CCDiscoB

I see these guys are hiring again. What's the latest concerning Cathay Pacific and labor relations? Last I heard they were still on the bad boy list and working for them = scab. Just curious, I'm not moving to Hong Kong but maybe one of you high-timers with your resume in at the same companies I have my resumes in at would like to apply.

Yeah,

The hiring ban is still on, but folks are taking jobs from what I hear. It's a real mess... folks are upgrading within the company while we call new joiners scabs. I certainly don't know the answer, but it is a shame that in such a downturn in the aviation job market a truly great job is off limits for now. I don't know that I agree with the ban, but I wouldn't be one to join under these conditions.

BTW, only those who joined after Oct 2001 (I believe it was roughly that) fall under the ban. It didn't really effect many until just recently since hiring had already stopped for a while at that time.... and CCDISCOB, once the ban is over get me a job in the Guard in an Eagle, and I'll get you one at Cathay wrestling the million pound beast!

Last edited:
No, actually Cathay hires N. Americans to fill bases in LAX, Chicago, JFK, Anchorage, and Vancouver. It is of course possible to end up in Hong Kong at some point, but equally possible to remain in the US.

Actually, if you apply as a s/o, you WILL be based in HK initally. Everybody is, NO exception. If you apply as a f/o (freighter fleet) circumstances differ. Pax bases and freight bases are slightly different. Anch. is not available for Pax. Primary domiciles for Pax in N.A. are YVR, LAX, and Kennedy.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Jolly Roger,

I didn't realize there was a ban. What is the problem that is trying to be worked out? When do you guys expect things to get back to normal and it be "o.k." to put in a resume`?

Since this is a North American forum, I am talking about the most common method of entry into Cathay by an American pilot with reasonable jet PIC hours: Direct entry F/O to the 747-400 freighter fleet on the mainline seniority. Since there are plenty of folks on this site in that category, my previous post stands correctly.

Once you've done three years on the freighter, you can option over to the passenger side for a bit of a pay raise, or continue to fly freight under pretty good working and pay conditions. Many a freight guy has gone over to the pax fleet this way (and maintained their same US base). Cathay has on occasion held folks over the three year point on the freighter, but in those cases they still got the pax pay, the best of both worlds!

There are a few Americans that have gone the S/O route and proceeded directly to Hong Kong and the circumstances you mentioned, but that route takes away two of the best things the freighter fleet offers: flying a widebody jet from T/O to landing (from the first day of flight training, not two years later), and living in the good old USA. (Not terrible starting freight pay either, over 78K the first year once you include allowances and additional Provident Fund, six weeks annual leave from day one, I could go on...).

I'm definitely not busting your chops, Edy, I should have been more specific.

Last edited:
No harm no foul Jolly Roger. Once upon a time, my decisions may have led us to meet on the freight side of things.

Happy Flying

Latest resources

Back