• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ETOPS-7E7 said:
That's ALL what i have.

Capt's pay: between USD 113,472 – 152,736
F/O pay : between 61,308 – 103,428
The salaries are lower in the pax side, and you'll be flying as a relief pilot/SO for a while and HK is your base.

As of the cargo routes:

JFK-ANCHORAGE-HK
ORD-ANC-HK
LAX-ANC-HK
LAX-SAN-ANC-HK
SAN-VANCOUVER-ANC-HK
I think they go to NRT as well...and other destinations in Asia...

Cpt. Pants,

Can you define "hotac" for us Yanks? Do you mean hotel overnights? If so what kind of locations (downtown) etc. are they at? I'm just sick of long overnights next to the airport and interstate at my current carrier!

Also, what are the skeds like on the short-haul AC (A330 & 777)?

I appreciate the info, I've got the second interview coming up and am looking forward to my trip to HK.

How to apply?

I noticed on the website, that the "direct entry pilot" requires a "An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL)" before even applying?

I thought a US ATP was acceptable to start the application process. Is there another path to work at Cathy? It also says "all direct entry pilots are employed on the freighter fleet". But I understand some newhires are on the pax fleet?

Any info appreciated, and thanks UnderPants for the info thus far!

If you have a US ATP, they will convert it to a Hong Kong Civil Aviation Authority ATP after you are selected for a position.

= Hotel Accomodation. Always good, the only exception is in LHR, at a miserable hotel at the airport. Fortunately, there is a complimentary shuttle to the City and some nice towns are a short busride away.

what are the skeds like on the short-haul AC (A330 & 777)
Short Haul is relative. We fly up to 9:30 on a single leg on the A330 (HKG-MEL) and the 777 flies up to 8:00 (HKG-DBX). Most of the 'Bus Drivers are CCQ'd - flying the A330/A340/A340-600 on the same ticket, and sometimes on the same day. Average days off, about 12-14 on the 777/Airbus, sometimes up to 5 consecutive. Depends on how much flying you're doing and the type of credit hours you're accumulating. Guaranteed minimum is 84 hours, and scheduling often get most pilots up to 83:55 on a regular basis.

How to apply?
http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/careers/paths/0,,86808,00.html

It also says "all direct entry pilots are employed on the freighter fleet". But I understand some newhires are on the pax fleet?
Yes and no. D-E F/O's to the freighter (all based outside of HKG) S/O's (not FE-P's) - inflight cruise pilots or Designated Eater/Capt's Sexual Advisor/Seat Warmer etc. - B744 or A340, HKG based.

Underpants:

Are most of the captains, FOs, Junior FOs Asian? As a white guy in a subordinate position, how is it flying with a different culture like that?

Thanks!

I hear that CX is very multicultural with a lot of Australians and Americans/Canadians. Like Emirates, you'll find people from all backgrounds and countries. I assume the freighter operation is quite Caucasian given that its bases are located in the US/Canada and UK/France. I hear nobody wants to fly with the dirty French though.

Only about 10% of the pilot group is Asian. Most local Chinese are not interested in aviation as a career path. There is no "aviation culture" here, and there is much more money to be made outside flying. Some ex-cadets (CX has a cadet program) have quit CX to get into business.

I am a Captain and have never flown in a "subordinate" position with any of our Asian crew, but I have flown with many Asian S/O's and F/O's. They are trained to the same standards as every one else. You should know that most of our Chinese pilots were raised in Hong Kong during the "colonial" era, and received all English type schooling or were schooled abroad. For most, there is no cultural gap.

I don't make a habit of taking straw polls on the flightdeck but I have never heard anything negative from any of our F/O's etc., on flying with Chinese Captains.

6's assumption on the make-up of the freighter fleet is accurate.

May I suggest that if you have any reservations about flying with Chinese/Asians, then CX is not for you. There is no place for xenophobia or racism here.

My question was not meant to be a "racist" one. Thanks for the answer.

Another question. Do you lose your USA ATP when you "transfer" to your ICAO ATPL? Or do you simply get a completely new ATP as well as keep your old one?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back