Cathay Pacific

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really?

ATA will take us? I am a US citizen and have a US ATP. I flew DC9's/MD80's/B757/B747 etc... I still keep my US ATP current. What is the procedure at ATA and will ALL Captain's agree to this?

I wuz wrong m'lud...

ATA will take Cathay Pacific Airways jumpseaters, but the jumpseater in question must be a US certificated crewmembers. Doesn't get you any farther west than HNL, but we can get you to SFO or LAX which are Cathay cities.
Effing Brilliant! I stand corrected. That is fantastic. Please let us (pilots) know if there are any other carriers that will take us on the jumpseat, despite the lack of a formal agreement. I wish that CX would offer some reciprocity - that (I believe) is the main issue.

We had a chap commuting to Grand Cayman who spent years getting informal agreements in place - he had some success, but then that fateful morning in September...

Lequip said:
For those who have gotten called in for an interview, how long a period was it between emailing your resume and being sent your application? Thanks in advance for the info!
For someone as Bitter and judgemental as you, as I have read in other threads, you would NOT be welcome here at all. But I assume your false courage in displaying your true personality behind anonymity as seen on this website, would be absent in an interview.

Currently time from acceptance-to training date is about 6-7 months.

Some posts on PPrune post a VERY accurate description of what life is like here.

Cheers,

Last edited:
More Cathay Questions

Captain Underpants and Cathay747400,

Thanks for all your information - some of us really appreciate it. I've been studying CX for several months, and sent a resume two days ago. Just wanted to clarify a few points and ask you to consult your crystal ball.

(1) What are the chances of the age-55 rule being changed? Is it just to get some of the A-scalers off the property, and then it will change?
(2) Heard somewhere that the freight guys can stay till 60 - true?
(3) Is the medical plan good? Some specifics would be helpful, but I understand this varies by COS, base, etc. No dental plan?
(4) Pay: Understand its "salary" vice "hourly" - correct? I assume it doesn't vary by schedule then.
(5) Vacation: Do you bid for vacation or does the company assign it? Does it affect your pay or do you still receive your regular salary? Is it spaced out throughout the year?
(6) Expatriate benefits for Hong Kong base: understanding that benefits are at company discretion; did these benefits go away during the tough times of SARS and 9/11?
(7) Reserve: How does reserve work? How long?
(8) Military duty: Saw on a previous thread that Red China doesn't appear to be particularly helpful for the guys serving in the US Reserves (Honestly can't blame them). Would CX fire you if you got mobilized to go to Iraq, etc? Should I leave the Marine Corps reserve or find a way to lay low?
(9) Taxes: flat 16 percent to Hong Kong - and no US taxes until over 70K or so?
(10) Hong Kong: can an F/O, wife, and two kids afford to eat and live there?
Sounds like fun - my family is up for adventure.

Sorry for all the questions - just want to know a bit more than I've been able to find in case I get the call. Appreciate all your efforts to answer the questions posed.
Thank you.
Semper Fi

CX Stuff

Lolikoka

Slow day in HKG, so I'll try some answers:

1. Age 55 rule. It is going - the DFO mentioned it on his last update, all they're trying to figure out is how badly some want to stay. As a matter of interest, the youngest "A" scaler has 15 years to go...
  2. When the intensely disliked ASL was formed, their (ASL) retirement was age 60. Reason was when CX shook the pilot tree (to form ASL) in the USA, a bunch of ex-Eastern blokes fell out. They were all pretty much into their 50's and CX wanted some time from them before they retired. CX integrated the ASL list into the CX list on Jan 1 2000. There have been no ASL hires since then, and only the few that opted not to go onto the CX list (a one-off) will retire at age 60.
  3. No dental plan. Medical plan varies from base to base, but is more or less inadequate. You will need a private plan if you want to live in the USA.
  4. It's not "salary" but there is a guaranteed minimum of 84 hours stick time. It's too complex to get into right now, but there are varying levels of credit hours multiplyers dependant on how hard the flying is. Overtime (on an exponential scale) is paid after 84 hours. Hit 102 hours and you're getting twice your salary. It happens, but it's rare.
  5. Vacation is bid for on a points basis. Some times cost you points (Summer holidays, school holidays, Christmas, etc.) some accumulate points (March - June) etc. Salary is full pay during vacation. You receive 42 days annually, and can bid it however you please. You're a fool if you take 1 - weekly blocks because the wiley characters in Crew Scheduling will use your leave to give you rest.
  6. Benefits stayed in full during all the "trying times".
  7. Reserve will be (from Jan 1 2005) 30 days annually. No "reserve blocks" or freedom from reserve if you're senior - everyone does it. (P1sses me right off).
  8. USMC Reserve duties? You're kidding, right...RIGHT? I would think your chances of keeping a job after the laughing from the third floor (flight ops management) has died down would be about the same as peace in Iraq.
  9. Yes.
  10. Yes. Definately.
Good luck.

The medical plan for US based freighter guys is through Cigna and is 100% coverage. No dental, as the honorable Capt U stated.

Reserve duty

Um, just to throw this out there. I know a guy who finished a month ahead of me that is still in the Nay reserve (flying). I know another guy who last year was recalled by the Navy for the war and sent to Germany to do I think office duty. He didn't even get to fly. The company wasn't thrilled but honored his commitment as he told me. I was told that you should let CX know that you are still in the reserves. The one navy guy did this. In fact I just talked to him yesterday about it. He was on active duty during the interview process and stayed in the reserves afterwords. He flies every month in the reserves and for CX. As long as it doesn't interfere with your CX job and you let them know, I think you'll be OK.

You are too kind

Cpt. Underpants

Sir, you are too kind to keep providing us pilots with excellent information. I have some knowledge as to how to prepare for the CX interview... is there any pointers that you would think it is vital for the success of a CX interview?

Thanks Cpt.

Pointers

Hey avgslin

Do you know how I can get an application?

Thanks.

TriJet said:
Hey avgslin

Do you know how I can get an application?

Thanks.
I'm going to sound sarcastic here but who cares. The first requirement of any airline should be you do some of your own footwork to get a bloody app., especially with the net around. Go to their website and find it! Okay I'll lighten up now.:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back