CATHAY PACIFIC vs. FEDEX/UPS opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hugh Jorgan said:
Cathay - Asian chicks....millions of them!

"you have U.S. passport? we love you long time"

RP 4, sorry, I meant US.

I used to say all aviator conversations used to degrade to a$$, sex, or turds. Guess I was right.

I used to say all aviator conversations used to degrade to a$$, sex, or turds. Guess I was right.

Sticker on my Harley some years ago:

ASS, GAS or GRASS, nobody rides for FREE.....:cool:

As for CX being Nirvana:

After having tried a few ex-pat gigs, I tend to agree with Typhoon Pilot:
It sure gets old out there, even with fancy jets and hot destinations, etc.

You will always be a stranger in the Hong Kong, Jeddah or Singapore.
After a few months the glamour wears off and ya feel like a prisoner.

Some guys thrive on the ex-pat stuff, others don't.

Try it and it may be good.

I would however go for FDX or UPS, learn the system and bid accordingly.
After a few years ya may be working 10 days a month pushing 200K.

Nuff said.

Got an interview in June for CX S/O although my application had F/O clearly annotated.

My issue is that I'm not sure I can afford to give up my Military Reserve opportunities to move to Hong Kong for 3-4 years, although I continue to be impressed with CX. I meet the mins for F/O and S/O positions and was really hoping for Cargo F/O Interview.

Heard there is no way to get an F/O position without humbly interviewing for the S/O job.

Thoughts ??

Bjammin said:
I did ALOT of reaserch, interviewed with 5 different carriers, got hired by a few, and fell in love with one.

So why didn't FedEx offer you a job???

Well, it's been some time for this thread.

Purple Tail,

Don't know.

It may not have been long enough between when I sent my app to FedEx and got on with Cathay. After I got this job I just kinda quit the update process and I'm sure that was noticed.

To be honest, I also didn't try as hard for FedEx as the others that I got interviewed by. I have always wanted to fly PAX, stupid as that sounds. Nothing against frieght at all, to each his own.

Now that I have finished ground school and have spent a couple of months around the company, I couldn't be more satisfied. I have met some life long friends and thought the training was first rate. All the instructors were extreamly proficient and always friendly.

I am very happy here and plan on staying for the VERY long term. Hong Kong is a great city and I would love to move my family here at some point. It can't be all bad if Mickey Mouse is making a home here.

All the pilots here have nothing but good to say about FedEx. Anyone there is lucky to have such a stable job. We believe Cathay has a bright future as well. The ecomomy is booming, Disney is moving in just south of HKIA, and mainland China is slowly opening it's borders.

It's hard to find bad news here. The rate of expansion is amazing (watch the papers for a large order). Is it perfect, of course not, but as an option for a job seeker it holds alot of promise.

Last edited:
Is CDG a base for cathay? Freighter or pax?

Bjammin said:
To be honest, I also didn't try as hard for FedEx as the others that I got interviewed by. I have always wanted to fly PAX, stupid as that sounds. Nothing against frieght at all, to each his own.

Boy, I bet the other "real" airline pilots are sorry they wanted to fly passengers too! Bottom line, unless you work for FedEx or UPS you are screwed for a profitable, stable career with a safe pension.

IHaveAPension said:
Bottom line, unless you work for FedEx or UPS you are screwed for a profitable, stable career with a safe pension.

Dude, Don't jinx it. Nobody likes a showoff. And the world can change at the drop of a hat.

Latest resources

Back