Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
your_dreamguy said:
Hello everyone,

Someone told me there is a book out there about Cathay Pacific interviews. Is this true? If so, is the book current or based on the way Cathay interviewed years ago? Can anyone give the up-to-date gouge on Cathay?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My advice is DON'T go there.... last week I saw a hiring ban posted in Flight international magazine by the Cathay union and IFALPA.
and that means that you will be a SCAB if you go.
I know it is tough out there right now to get a job anywhere but things will turn around. so STAYAWAY from Cathay and be patient.

You can be sure that IFALPA will have the names of those who interview and take a job at this time.

They are hiring those with no qualifications for a reason....

what do you mean no quals.? or better yet, how do YOU know?
just so you know, since you seem not to, the list has not been officialy published. the pres. of the aoa does not even want to. YET.

i have heard of two senior us air captains who are planning, if asked, to interview. if i'm not mistaken, us air is alpa.

Last edited:
if someone joins during a srike. they are scabs. or scum either or. there is NO STRIKE! NO PICKET! if there was, i would support it. but there is not.

Plain and simple. If you go to work for Cathay Pacific, you will be a SCAB! You will be a SCAB for the rest of your career! I would'nt even think about it. If you do don't even think about getting a US airline's jumpseat.
CaptJim, What about the scabs from CAL?

well i think my thoughts and info on cathay, (wich is reliable, which i can't say for others), are enough. people can invent their own perceptions on what a scab is all they want. if one chooses, go to a union like ibt, and ask for the definition of a scab. it does NOT fit the situation at cathay.(no upgrade ban) not to say it shouldn't. if anyone chooses to ask other cathay pilots, many, even aoa, do disagree with the ban. it was not well planned, and is frankly selfish.

no new hires, but sure, i'll take that fired persons first officer/captain position. how stupid is that. glad pilots stick together.

anyways enough arguing for me. fly safe everyone.
we pilots have the best job. well at least sometimes.

:)

There is no picket line because Hong Kong labor laws do not provide for the right to strike.

You WILL be a world wide scab if you defy an IFALPA hiring ban.

The reason CX pilots are taking upgrades is because they don't want to join the 49ers. If they don't go along with management, CX will determine that they are "trouble makers" and fire them. At last count the 49ers were actually more like the 64ers. The number continues to grow.

Read the latest copy of "Airline Pilot" from ALPA if you don't believe how screwed up things are at Cathay.

P.S. I very much doubt that you know more CX pilots than I do (since I used to be one of them), and I'm afraid the people you have allegedly spoken with do not reflect the thoughts and feelings of the general population.

Dieterly said:

CaptJim, What about the scabs from CAL?

Those guys are still on the scab lists. As a matter of fact I have friends that are at AA, UAL and DAL. They all have acounts of Scab CAL guys getting denied jumpseats. Scabbing one's self is a life long affair, don't do it!

With that said, ALPA national put in the merger agreement when we CAL/CALEX pilots came aboard forgiveness for the scabs. However as stated above, many people don't forget or forgive. Strikes are for the good of all pilots to have a better way of life. To undermine that is beyond low and is hard to forget.

center said:
if someone joins during a srike. they are scabs. or scum either or. there is NO STRIKE! NO PICKET! if there was, i would support it. but there is not.

As every airline in the world knows, the "word" scab is indeed associated with a pilot who performs struck work...however from Webster's on-line...

scab Pronunciation Key (skb)
1)n. Slang. A person regarded as contemptible.

2)A worker who refuses membership in a labor union.
3)An employee who works while others are on strike; a strikebreaker.
4)A person hired to replace a striking worker.

intr.v. scabbed, scab·bing, scabs
To become covered with scabs or a scab.
To work or take a job as a scab.

To go to work for Cathay Pacific would violate #2. ALPA has put a hiring ban on CX. We can play the sumantics game all night, but to go to CX, one would be scabbing one's self. Most dues paying ALPA members would agree.

IFALPA Recruitment Ban

The International Federation of Air Line Pilots Associations (IFALPA) has enacted a ban on recruitment into Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd., Veta Ltd. and USAB Ltd. on behalf of the member pilots of the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association (HKAOA).

The Recruitment Ban comes into effect for any pilot who accepts employment commencing on or after 9th October 2001.

The recruitment ban has been enacted in response to Cathay Pacific management’s firing 53 pilots in July 2001. These pilots, with two exceptions, were terminated for no reason and they were denied the ability to appeal the decision through the
contractual Disciplinary and Grievance procedure. The ban is to maximise the pressure to re-employ our pilots whilst the dispute continues. Recruitment of replacement pilots reduces the likelihood of a successful resolution to the dispute.

Until further notice the acceptance of a contract of employment as a pilot with any of the above-mentioned companies will result in that pilot having his name placed on a list to be compiled by the HKAOA. The list will be circulated to all Member Associations (MA) of IFALPA for information and any action that MA may deem
required in accordance with its own constitution or resolutions.

Any pilot whose name is placed on this list will be ineligible to become a member of the HKAOA. Such ban will be for life.
Furthermore, pilots who accept employment whilst the recruitment ban is in effect will be made unwelcome by the membership of the HKAOA.

The HKAOA will not provide support for a listed pilot in any circumstances whereby it would normally act on behalf of a pilot. This includes Accident and Incident investigations, Discipline and Grievance procedures, legal representation in foreign countries, etc.

Should any pilot have questions relating to this ban, please contact the HKAOA via one of the following addresses:

Fax:
+852 2736 0903

5/F, Daily House,
Haiphong Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui,
HONG KONG.

Email:
[email protected]

There you have it! And it sucks, cause I really want to work there because they do the flying I feel I would enjoy most. Hope this is resolved soon.

Latest resources

Back