• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Career progression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is there any bid process for schedule? Can you bid days off? Weekends off? Overnights? etc.

Or do they just throw something on your schedule as they please. Do senior pilots get more days off?

Regarding the passes, supposedly we can arrange passes here stateside now-there was a Notice To Crew about it sometime back-but I'm not sure how to do it or who to contact. Most guys take care of it in HK.
Bidding- You CAN request certain days off, certain trips, etc, however there is no obligation to award requests. Three times a year we get a set of Garaunteed days off (called Jokers)-a set of 2 days in a row and a set of 5 days in a row-that can be used for things like anniversaries, weddings, birthdays, etc., which 99% of the time are approved. Combine that with 6 weeks vacation per year, and it's not hard to make sure you're off for the really important things. Seniority doesnt make a big difference in the rosters.

This is a silly question:

Do you get a locker at the airport? and/or do you get picked up and dropped off by the company from your HK residence? I cannot imagine being in my clown suit and bags riding on the MTR to and from work.

related question: for the US based pilots, how long of a layover in HK can be expected on a typical trip pairing? and are there any pairings that would start from the US, HK layover, on to somewhere else, say Europe, then back to HK, and back to US, maybe a 10-day trip?

Thanks again for your time and all the info.

You get a locker in HKG.

They do not pick you up at your home in HKG, but most guys just wear their uniform without the shoulder boards and name tag on the airport express which is extreamly cheap for Cathay people and very easy for guys that live in Central or Kowloon.

I spend about a 1.5days a trip in HKG. Just enough to party and get some admin stuff done.

Never would go to Europe on a trip starting in the US.

Last edited:
Cal me anal if you wish, but aren't you employed as a pilot - to do your job for 84 hours a month? Too much to ask? If it is, then you really shouldn't consider Cathay at all.

Our FOMs' clearly state that nothing other than "company publications" are to be read on the flight deck. Movies? You have to be kidding. Try watching a movie while you're at the controls and discover how fast CX sacks people.

You're anal!

That was a futile attempt at some humor.

I agree, Dumb Pilot, with the movie thing. However, one of the guys alternately having a look through a newspaper or magazine, during a non critical phase of flight, one that happens to last for hooouuuurs on end? Come on.
You can only read so much airplane stuff before the mind goes numb.

Does anybody know what will new hire SO will be making in 2008. if given a choice which fleet should one take. B747400 or B777 or A340. can someone also talk about SO QOL and Roster every month. Thanks.

Any info on SO quality of life?

Latest resources

Back