Cathay 2nd officer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

D+$

Any one done this? How long are you a 2nd officer before they put you as an F.O say in ... Los Angeles. Pay? Anything would be great.. Thanks...D

Please spare us yet another Cathay thread in the wrong forum. This question has been answered a million times in other threads.......please do a search.

At any rate, it depends on whether you get hired as a direct entry FO or a SO. The FO's are in the US and other places and the SO's are in HK. Your base is wherever they need you.

But again, please do a search!!!

wow! thanks tuff guy,

gosh i didnt mean to disrespect your sacred aviator forum. What was I thinking to have not done a search first. I should have been flying a 777 before i was even allowed to make a post on here. What was I thinking. Good think you put me in my place though ass cow.

Brown Cow,

Please make us all understand how Cathay Pacific is not a major airline.

Do you do research on the definition of a major? Guess not.

A Major airline is defined as one which generates over 1 Billion USD annually. Cathay generated over 5 Billion USD and over 500 Million USD profit in 2004.

D+$,
To answer you question about this MAJOR airline. All SO's are based out of Hong Kong first and it usually takes about 3 years to upgrade to FO. The pay is very good right off the bat, about 80K USD. That includes retirement and housing allowence. You also get good schedules out of Hong Kong. If you go to the Cathay Pacific websight they spell out the minimums.

All in all a very good gig if you don't mind Hong Kong. Guys take SO over FO, depends on your preference.

Last edited:
Bjammin said:
Brown Cow,

Please make us all understand how Cathay Pacific is not a major airline.

Do you do research on the definition of a major? Guess not.

D+$,
To answer you question about this MAJOR airline. All SO's are based out of Hong Kong first and it usually takes about 3 years to upgrade to FO. The pay is very good right off the bat, about 80K USD. That includes retirement and housing allowence. You also get good schedules out of Hong Kong. If you go to the Cathay Pacific websight they spell out the minimums.

All in all a very good gig if you don't mind Hong Kong. Guys take SO over FO, depends on your preference.

Hey, imagine that. A cathay thread with Bjammin being pissed off and defensive.
Can you tell us again how great cathay is?

YGBSM said:
Hey, imagine that. A cathay thread with Bjammin being pissed off and defensive.
Can you tell us again how great cathay is?

Ain't too different from a Cathay thread where Brown Cow rakes someone over the coals for daring to ask a question about Cathay. BC needs to realize if Cathay doesn't belong on this board, then by that logic UPS belongs in the Cargo board.

D+$,

Second Officer's are all
Hong Kong based. Right now the upgrade to Junior First Officer is about 3.5-4 years. That should come down to about 3 years over the next year or so. All Junior First Officer's are also Hong Kong based. Upgrade to First officer from Junior First Officer is completely subjective. Could be 1 year, or several years. Basings are not guaranteed, but you can bid for one once you are a "FO". If you were hired as a SO, I would plan on at an absolute minimum of 5 years before you would be eligible at holding a US base as a PAX officer, however this does not include seniority issues. Currently, US PAX bases for Cathay are staffed primarily by fairly senior Canadians.

Competitive hour requirements for Second Officer's, (civilian) are about 3000-4000 hours TT, with significant Jet/Turbine experience and an ATPL.

Direct entry North American based Freighter FO's, have slightly higher competitive hour requirements, with preference given to medium jet (A320/B737) experience.

Good luck,

Cheers

Brown Cow said:
Please spare us yet another Cathay thread in the wrong forum. This question has been answered a million times in other threads.......please do a search.

At any rate, it depends on whether you get hired as a direct entry FO or a SO. The FO's are in the US and other places and the SO's are in HK. Your base is wherever they need you.

But again, please do a search!!!

GEEZ take a chill pill man!

Latest resources

Back