Caribbean otter operator?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JohnnyP

Anyone know of an operation called Seaborn?, Seabourn? airways or something of the sort down in the caribbean? I think they were flying otters on floats, but i could be mistaken. Are they still around? For some reason it came across my mind, tried a search here and on google, even that airliners.net site, nothing pops up. Am i the only one who's had fleeting thoughts of uprooting myself all of a sudden and heading out to some little island to fly for a while? Someones got to fly those planes, right?

Last edited:
seaborne, andas far as I can tell its my dream job.

Thanks for the site thats just what I was wondering about. Im not sure why I couldnt stumble across that. Does anyone have any general info about the company? Pilot base, # of pilots, the usual stuff? I figure because you don't hear anything about them, thats probably a good thing. Anyone currently flying or have flown previously for them?

I worked with a guy that had flown for them a while ago, I think they were out of St. Kitts/St. Croix. They also had some esker work up in Alaska, real twin otter flying if you will. Pay was $75 000 for captains in 1990 or so I believe...I might be a bit off on the numbers.

They are based out of St Croix, flying scheduled between Old San Juan Harbour, PR Charlotte Amile, St thomas and Christensted, St Croix. Pilots wear shorts and tennis shoes with a regular shirt. Not sure of the shcedules, but I remember a jumpseater who flew for them said were run hard like 12 legs a day and 6-10 minute turns, but paid well. and yes it was the dream island seaplane job

The Captain position required 500 hrs multi-engine sea. The only people who probably have that are the folks who were copilots for 2 seasons beforehand.

What is life like for a COPILOT? Thats the question. Would I have to sell my wife into slavery in order to afford to live there?

Bender,

You wouldn't need to worry about the wife if you moved her to St. Croix. She would divorce you in a minute. The place is a he!!hole. I have been to nearly every island in the Caribbean and it's the worst. Check the crime stats on STX.

As far as Seaborne, I have heard mixed reviews. I have a close friend who worked there and he walked away. 12 hour days, maybe around 16 legs/day, 15 minute legs at 1000 feet (you will sweat for the entire day).

Captain pay is pretty good and they do have 121 jumpseat privs.

Good luck

I just happen to have been born and raised there. Crime is no worse than any other island in the Caribbean. You just have to be alert like in any US city. Actually not a bad company to work for, low key and very profitable company.

JohnnyP said:
Anyone know of an operation called Seaborn?, Seabourn? airways or something of the sort down in the caribbean? I think they were flying otters on floats, but i could be mistaken. Are they still around? For some reason it came across my mind, tried a search here and on google, even that airliners.net site, nothing pops up. Am i the only one who's had fleeting thoughts of uprooting myself all of a sudden and heading out to some little island to fly for a while? Someones got to fly those planes, right?

PM me as we have two pilots in our operation, including the DO who have been with this operation for a number of years. Will try to put you in touch. Do you have Twotter time and float plane time as well because I think that is a minimum requirement.

Latest resources

Back