Cargo scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

groundpointsix

The "potential financial disaster" thread got me thinking; what protection do you cargo guys have from your company trying to outsource the work to a smaller carrier? Obviously there are already examples of work being handled by the feeders. I'm not real familiar with the inner workings of any of the major cargo carriers, but I know there are a lot of cases where it simply wouldn't be possible for the parent company to send a Boeing or Airbus into some of the smaller airports served by the feeders. In other cases, the volume of cargo going into the more remote areas doesn't really justify sending a heavy jet in. Where is the line drawn? Do you have contractual protection? What's to stop FedEx from tomorrow giving out contracts to everyone who owns 727 and is looking to make a buck? Is there the same sort of animosity amongst the cargo guys that there is amongst the major airline pilots who see "their" flying being given to RJs?

The first tier cargo carriers like UPS and Fredex have scope written into their contracts that allow a carefully defined amount and type of outsourcing. Typically this would be during peak periods like Christmas when the lift is needed, but can't justify year-round capacity.

The current FedEx scope clause isn't too protective. However, the outsourcing FedEx has done, has proved that the outsourcing contracts they give cannot provide the type of reliability FedEx needs or guarantees. They need their own crews/aircraft to haul their cargo.

Who does Gemini's maint while they are in MEM or an out station?
Is is FDX or do they use thier own?

Latest resources

Back