Career's after flying in the Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Contractor flying jobs

There are a limited number of flying positions available at defense contractors.

Fixed wing jobs are scarce, and generally revolve around flight test (you have to be a TPS grad), production flight test (post-manufacture checks), corporate aviation (no different than any other coporate job) or contract training support (the Navs at Pensacola used to be flown around by contract guys, most of whom were retired military). None of these jobs pay what you might hope, and they are scarcer than hen's teeth. Starting pay at one contractor I had an in with to fly turboprops started at $60K, and didn't climb fast.

Rotary Wing jobs are similar, though there are fewer corporate jobs, and marginally more civilian training support positions (Rucker has some helo positions open, I am told).

After my fling at the regionals, I took a management job that quadrupled my salary overnight (and exceeds maxed out FO pay at most major airlines) and has proved significantly more satisfying workwise. It just depends on where your interests lie.

Thats what I figured.It seems that you can make good money flying sims for companies to make sure they work right.And what kind of mangement are we talking about.

Don't know much about validation and verification flying done for simulator companies, other than I did it for the Marine Corps a few times and it took a TPS diploma to do it.

I'm managing the fixed and rotary wing support contracts for a multinational oil company's US operations, as well as developing our aviation operations, safety, and training programs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back