Career dilemma- need opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bjsanders

Hello, I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while. I enjoy reading all the informative posts about the aviation industry. First off, I want to say that I truly enjoy flying. Here's my dilemma. I thought I would enjoy flying for a living but now I'm not sure. I despise my flight school, the training is fine, but the thought of working there is a real downer. If there were a bright light at the end of the tunnel I could tolerate it. But is there a bright light? According to many of the users here, flying for a living is not all that great. Or more specifically, the thrill of flying wears off once it is a job. This job also appears to be very unstable for a long-term career. I can't predict which airline will fold in 30 years. Also, the prospect of making at least 150K is becoming more elusive. All of you know the downsides...

I'm thinking of going back to school to become a dentist (possibly a doctor). This will be a 6-year commitment because I would have to complete the pre-req.'s. I'm 23, married, already 40k in the hole, but if I go back to state schools I could graduate from dental school with a (I think?) manageable debt of 130K total.

As enigma put it...

That way I could:
sleep in my own bed,
see my girls volleyball games,
see my sons symphony concerts,
take my wife out on my anniversary/valentines/her birthday,
see my kids birthday partys in person instead of on video tape,
drink with who I want instead of the FA's on my line,
and last but not least, SPEND CHRISTMAS AT HOME, not in a second rate hotel in ACY/CLE/CVN/ALS/IGM, etc, etc, etc.

The average earnings for dentists who own their own practice are 186k according to the ada. This is for working an average of 37 hours per week. So eventually I will probably be well off financially, especially considering you can work past age 60. In the meantime I could fly and instruct just for fun. It is a plan but I have not made my decision. Can anyone convince me that staying in this industry is worth it, that the light at the end is still bright? I'm still young enough to change my career and I want to make the best decision for my wife, myself and our future.

Flying Career

Go pull teeth, man. The only way a person can be happy in this flying game is if you have a passion for it. There is only a slim chance that you will make any money. IT is like the movie/entertainment industry. For every high-dollar star there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of "wannabe" actors gettin' by with bit parts - but they are basicly happy. They are living their passion. Like we are.

nosehair said:
Go pull teeth, man. The only way a person can be happy in this flying game is if you have a passion for it. There is only a slim chance that you will make any money. IT is like the movie/entertainment industry. For every high-dollar star there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of "wannabe" actors gettin' by with bit parts - but they are basicly happy. They are living their passion. Like we are.

And going somewhere else to work doesn't necessarily mean you can't fly... doesn't even mean you can't fly for MONEY.

I would say though that if it's just your flight school ruining the whole deal why not find a new one?

Don't let all the negativity around here get you down. Pilots are known to complain a lot anyway!

If you're only 23 years old, why not try flying for the military? Good money, GREAT bennies... put in your 20yrs, retire, go apply for a decent flying job...

Go to dental school. I've been working towards flying commercially since 1995, and have been stubbing my toe left, right, and center. I've decided it would be the most fun and do'able to have a semi-stable job (the one I have now) and merely instruct and/or fly a little charter part-time. I think the stress of keeping a 1st Class medical at 40yo and having to fight students or pull gear on a King Air to put food on the table is probably more than my nerves can take at my age.

Better to work a regular job for better pay, and get my 'skynut' on weekends. :)

Minh

All that said, however, if I lost my current job, it'd be nice to have a Comm/CFI to fall back on and at least be able to take one stab at an aviation career. :D When you finish dental school, you'll need an experienced pro to fly your family around in your Cessna 421, until you meet insurance mins. Let's keep in touch. :D

I think most people on this board would say that in order to have make a living at flying you really really need to have a passion for it. And not just the normal passion. You gotta not get too hung up on not sleeping in the same bed as your wife everynight, not seeing your kids concerts, games, births, birthdays, first steps/words etc. or being able to spend any holiday at home. The 121 lifestyle will wear you down and there will be points where you want to quit and then there will be points were you will actually be happy with the lifestyle and not imagine life any other way. You really gotta do what will be best for you. If you can be happy being a dentist then by all means go do that. You can easily instruct on the side at nights and on weekends. There are many instructors at my old FBO that do this. They all have day jobs. Some work other office jobs, and even one plays in the National Symphony Orchestra. They all just use the CFI as a way to get paid to do their hobby. And it is true when you fly for work it does kind of loose some of the magic. Thats why I go fly a 172 or something for fun a few times a year. If you have any doubts about living out of a suitcase for the next 37 years then I say go be a dentist and be a CFI on the nights and weekends. Don't get me wrong I love the 121 lifestyle and couldn't imagine having a non flying job, but it is a rough life sometimes.
Hope this helps
Great Cornholio

Every day

Any job for any amount done every day is not worth it unless you love to do it and look forward to going to do it every day.

If flying or denistry do not float your boat that way, find something else that does.

The 121 lifestyle is horrible. Go pull teeth and buy a nice little bird to fly around on the weekends.

The grass is always greener . . . .

bjsanders said:
I thought I would enjoy flying for a living but now I'm not sure. I despise my flight school, the training is fine, but the thought of working there is a real downer. If there were a bright light at the end of the tunnel I could tolerate it. But is there a bright light? According to many of the users here, flying for a living is not all that great. Or more specifically, the thrill of flying wears off once it is a job. This job also appears to be very unstable for a long-term career. I can't predict which airline will fold in 30 years. Also, the prospect of making at least 150K is becoming more elusive.
My story is familiar to most people here, so I beg their indulgence while I provide it to you.

I was 31 when I started flying in 1982. I had wanted to fly all my life, and I found after I started that I really enjoyed flying and was passionate about few other things. For that reason, I continued to work on ratings, despite major scheduling obstacles which caused my training to drag out for years. I earned my CFI to put flying on a paying basis.

In 1987, I had grown disenchanted with my work, which some would have found to be interesting, unless they knew all the drudgery and BS that went into it. I had two friends whom the commuters hired, so I saw no reason why I could not be hired. Brisk hiring during that time and prospects of future brisk hiring spurred on my decision.

My goal was never to make tons of money, but just to fly for a commuter. I only cared about making enough money to eat and pay my bills. Unfortunately, my plans did not work out. But, all along, I chose to change careers to professional aviation because I wanted to do something I liked doing and felt strongly about, and be paid for it.

Somehow, reading between the lines, I gather that you would rather be a dentist and make the money. Nothing wrong with that. Notwithstanding the study and time required, you still can expect to work some strange hours while either purchasing or establishing a practice. As with flying or any other worthwhile endeavor, these things require a commitment. Not to mention servicing the debt of dental school loans.

As I see it, you can pick your poison. Just be sure you are as passionate about pulling teeth, draining abcesses, drilling teeth, building bridgework and getting recalcitrant insurance companies to pay you as you might have been at one time about flying cross-countries and shooting approaches perfectly to minima, breaking out for a perfect landing and simply enjoying a great day. If you can meet the passion test for whatever you choose, the money will take care of itself.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Great advice, keep it coming! The issue of passion is interesting. I went to flight school because I truly have a passion for flying. I have been around airlplanes my whole life because my dad is a pilot. I get a thrill every time I leave the ground. But I'm also passionate about playing guitar. I've played for around ten years, often I'll wake up on a weekend and play for many hours straight for the sheer pleasure of it. I've been in bands also, but I have never remotely considered playing guitar for a living. In reality, the idea of giging in smoke-filled bars just to make a living is not my idea of the good life. I can play guitar and start a band just for fun. I don't want to be an aviation burnout, like some glam-mullet-haired-burnt-out rocker. However, I think I could still nurture my love of flight by flying for fun. Even if I just fly an ultralight. I think I would enjoy flying for a living, but I would be very bitter if I missed too many holidays and then my company folded when I was making good money in my 40's.

Daddysquared, why do you feel the 121 life is terrible?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back