Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Birdstrike

Atlantic City
Is there anything intrinsically wrong with being content to be a career copilot? Can an FO decline upgrade to left seat training? Is it grounds for any action by the company? If asked and declared during an interview, would you hire a pilot who candidly stated he wanted to be the finest FO in the business but did not want a Captain's responsibility?

Not me

Why wouldn't you want the left seat. The pay is going to be better. I would think that this person would have doubts about his/her abilities if they made a comment like that.

Just my .02

Probably not the thing to say during an interview. Most, if not all airlines hire potential Captains.

Having said that, once you HAVE the job, if you choose to stay in the right seat for QOL issues, that's certainly your choice.

If you have no aspirations to move on to a major, and don't need the $, you can certainly stay in the right seat and enjoy your seniority. But I probably would't tell the interviewer that was your plan.

Some airlines (mostly majors) do have an "Up or Out" policy that dictates pilots must upgrade within a certain time of being able to hold it seniority wise, but I don't know of any regionals that do.

I know of a few people here who have plenty of seniority to hold captain but continue bidding FO mainly for QOL reasons. What you bid on each bid is your business, and it is nothing that has to be declared during an interview. But be prepared for quizzical looks and questions when you fly with captains who are junior to you when the time comes. But I would think that if you harbor some kind of fear of or lack of desire of being the guy in the left seat, then perhaps aviation is not suited for you and maybe you should seek some kind of counseling to confront the underlying reasons for wanting to be a "career FO."

Definitely wouldn't be the first person to take that route. I've actually heard of people retiring at a regional as a FO. They had the seniority but just chose QOL, I guess. I agree, though, don't make this known in an interview.

Birdstrike,
Career FO's is the only option at Mesaba Airlines. We are currently accepting resumes from qualified individuals who have no desire for career progression or an increase in earning potential. Mesaba only hires pilots that can take charge of all situations while the "captain" is getting his mocha latte crap, talking on his mobile and jumps in his seat 73 seconds before pushback. Then of course you get to listen to how "When you upgrade, you'll want to find a captain you respect and get his advise on all aspects of flying as an airline captain." I love that talk. Especially from the ass wipes that were hired a whole 5 months before you were.
For anyone that wants to be a career FO, you're a better man than me. I'm getting kinda tired of being a career FO, myself.

Birdstrike said:
Is there anything intrinsically wrong with being content to be a career copilot? Can an FO decline upgrade to left seat training? Is it grounds for any action by the company? If asked and declared during an interview, would you hire a pilot who candidly stated he wanted to be the finest FO in the business but did not want a Captain's responsibility?
Birdstrike,

Overall, I would say no. It is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.

If one is content, happy with the pay, and the quality of life is greater than one would have in the left seat, one could stay there until retirement.

However, I will add this. The main motivation for me to upgrade is monetarily. Not so much the pay in salary, but retirement and disability. Part of my retirement is predicated on years of service and what my salary was. This difference could be pretty substantial if I don't upgrade. Also, what if my medical got suspended? Currently, I would receive a percentage of my current salary. As a Captain, that number would be substantially larger than as an F/O in the event something happened. So, from those reasons, that is why I would take the upgrade.

No, nothing wrong with it at all.

Its not going to happen now but my goal back when the majors were hiring was to get hired by UA and stay a FO on a widebody to retirement. 150K (in the day) or more to sit in the right seat, great schedules and QOL with no PIC responsibilities.

sf3boy said:
Birdstrike,
Career FO's is the only option at Mesaba Airlines. We are currently accepting resumes from qualified individuals who have no desire for career progression or an increase in earning potential. Mesaba only hires pilots that can take charge of all situations while the "captain" is getting his mocha latte crap, talking on his mobile and jumps in his seat 73 seconds before pushback. Then of course you get to listen to how "When you upgrade, you'll want to find a captain you respect and get his advise on all aspects of flying as an airline captain." I love that talk. Especially from the ass wipes that were hired a whole 5 months before you were.
For anyone that wants to be a career FO, you're a better man than me. I'm getting kinda tired of being a career FO, myself.
I guess you can add Comair to that list... What's the latest upgrade estimate - 8-10 years now?

You can also add Air Wisconsin to that list as well!!

My favorite is the guys bitching about there job and they upgraded in less than a year...and this is their first airline job.

Latest resources

Back