• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career Changer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In 1997 I was 33 and held a private pilot single engine rating. I was in sales and was doing well. I had been married 6 months when I told my wife that all I ever wanted to be was a airline pilot and I would'nt be happy unless I tried. I quit my job and without much research started full time at comair academy. My wife supported us both. Needless to say we were broke. I finished at comair in 11 months with my MEI. I was hired as a flight instructor in Atlanta, Ga. After 14 months I was hired with U.S. Airways Express in CLT on the J32. 18 months later I was hired by Airtran on the B717 where I have been for the past year. Never in my dreams did I think I would go this far this fast. This is still the only thing I have ever wanted to do. I love it, I can't wait to go back to work after 3 or 4 days off. My advice is, If this is your dream then make it happen Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. And most important Don't ever give up.

Good Luck,

Fletch

Timing is EVERYTHING. I too was a career changer. Last Jan., at 35 quit my GOOD paying job/career, went to FSI got all my ratings. And now I cant find a job anywhere and am living on peanuts trying to survive. I'm glad for everyone who else made it. I know I will get there one day. My advice.... prepare for the worst situtaion, and hope you get lucky and wont ever see it. I'm seeing it now, and it aint pretty. Hindsight is always 20/20....

I got a job flying a Fokker 27 for a Fedex feeder at age 34, and then went to a large regional at age 36. It can be done, and I gave up as many times as some of you have. Try to get a copy of the book "I can do anything I want, if I only knew what it was" by Barbara Sher. It helps to to know what your dream job is, and how to leave your "safe" job. It also helps you to understand that there is no such thing as a safe job anyway. Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back