career change success stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

msk2468

I haven't updated my profile in quite a while, but I have been working for a regional for a while and toying with the idea of a career change because of personal reasons. I have a four year degree from a good school and some internships in business, but all of my post college experience is flying related. Just wondering of anyone was able to make a good transition to any business fields or other non-flying jobs. I have done a search of past posts but just wanted some additional info. Thanks

I made a carrer change from a regional pilot as I thought it would be better as I would be at home more often, better management, etc. Well, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence as I am going back into flying. I start class in a couple of weeks working for a regional again. Make sure you really want to give up flying when you quit as you have to start at the begining again.

I'm working on my masters degree with the goal of seeing what else is out there.

This is a good thread. I'm looking forward to reading some of the responses.

Last edited:
I quit flying for 3 years. I went back to college and started another career. It didn't last long and I was back flying again. It really doesn't matter how much money your new career pays. If flying is in your blood, you won't be happy unless your doing it.

I am an insurance agent right now and my office is covered in airline garb from when I was there....I make more than a 3rd year fo right now and I actually miss the ramp...just being around it....per previous post...make darn sure you want this...because youll find no amount of $$ can replace being a part of this industry , especially if it is something that is "in your blood" like rk 772 stated......I'm doing the opposite of what you are doing, When I start flying professionaly I will take the paycut of my life..for a while......But hey if it something you gotta do,,Im sure you will be fine...professional

experience is professional experience ,plus you have a college degree....good luck to you sir

Last edited:
Thank freaking god! Finally some positive words about our career. I agree, we could be a lot worse off folks!

I worked for two 121 carriers, left the first one for the second one, the second one was going out of business, so I went corporate, lost that job in the depression of 1982. Started my own buiness while moon lighting for Uncle Sams' P-3 flying club, run it for five years, missed being around pilots and airplanes when back flying for a commuter, it went out of business in the depression of 1991, got a corp gig again, they sold their airplane in 1996, went back to a 121 cargo outfit, they went out of business in 1997. Then this fantastic job at USA Jet airlines came along, I am the luckiest SOB in the world. I am living well, doing what I want, and although I missed the really good jobs all in all in has been a real adventure and I would change very little. What is the difference between a recession and a depression, in a depression you loose your job. In a recession other people loose their jobs. There is a thread named "Career change poll, it answers this same question

pilotyip said:
I worked for two 121 carriers, left the first one for the second one, the second one was going out of business, so I went corporate, lost that job in the depression of 1982. Started my own buiness while moon lighting for Uncle Sams' P-3 flying club, run it for five years, missed being around pilots and airplanes when back flying for a commuter, it went out of business in the depression of 1991, got a corp gig again, they sold their airplane in 1996, went back to a 121 cargo outfit, they went out of business in 1997. Then this fantastic job at USA Jet airlines came along, I am the luckiest SOB in the world. I am living well, doing what I want, and although I missed the really good jobs all in all in has been a real adventure and I would change very little. What is the difference between a recession and a depression, in a depression you loose your job. In a recession other people loose their jobs. There is a thread named "Career change poll, it answers this same question

You forgot to mention your job as an English Professor.
Sorry, I couldn’t resist making fun of this grammatical train wreck.

Who cares? the guys is a pilot. not a professor. I don't write for a living, I fly.

I was a Riddle grad, was once afflicted with SJS, spent 3 years at ACA/FLYi before being furloughed. I was hired at COEX, ASA, and CHQ but turned them all down, because I didn't want to trade in 2000 hrs of jet experience at ACA for first year pay and a possible repeat career path. I accepted a desk job as a regulatory and safety program mgr position at an aerospace trade association in DC. I miss flying but the QOL i have now would make it hard to return. I moved to downtown DC, can plan my life months in advance, am home everynight, can meet friends for happy hour, don't have to go through security (or even carry an ID) and dont have to worry about being outsourced.

The only way I'd go back is if FLYi recalled me and things were looking very good there. Otherwise for now, CAP flying, Angel Flight, and just plain fun flying are what I plan to do. Also might go to grad school.

A lot can be said for what you love to do, but a lot more can be said for a little stability. And once you experience city living, and this lifestyle, it's hard to go back.

Ask me again in a year though...

Hope this helps.

AD

Latest resources

Back