• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

career change success stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But not everybody experiences 3 pay cuts and 2 furloughs. There are lots of lawyers and businessman that quit high paying jobs to make regional wages but they are happy. This all boils down to is the grass really greener?

They pay just isnt worth it! Im sure there are some very lucky pilots out there who land great corporate gigs or have a long career at a major airline. Its seems like a small percentage though. Most pilots I know live a pretty unstable life and work at crappy jobs. Im at the point where I will work an 8-5 office job if it pays good and has some stablity. It sucks to be broke. You need money!

Started a paving business, went from flying for 35k a year.(5 Days a month at home wow!!) To 35k a month(home every night).Aviation you can have it!!!!!!!!!!

Steepturn said:
I've been testing at police departments again (I did the same after 9-11). As many have said before, it's not worth what may or may not come in the long run. I'm missing out on too much now (family, friends, etc..). The minute one of those departments calls I'm out the door to a much happier life. I do not plan on leaving aviation completly though. I'll still fly odd jobs here and there on the side and also fly for fun again when I feel like it. I will miss some of the layovers though, but this time it will be better because I'll be able to take my family with me and positive space is a good thing.

I did that as I thought the Police department would be so much better. I would see my family more, etc.,etc,.etc. Pay at the police department was not bad as the typical department pays 40-47,000 per year to start. Well that may seem good but most of the departments max at around 55,000 and that is after 5 years. So you will make a base pay of 55,000 the rest of your life. Then to make more money every cop I knew worked overtime to make ends meet. So all that time to spend with your family is gone right there working overtime. Then for the first five to seven years of your career your going to work deep nights. You may be home but you will be sleeping.

Anyway I could go on and on about how pilots always bitch about how bad thier jobs are. I know because I used to bitch too, until I quit my flying job and became a cop to only realize how good I had it. Oh by the way I was going to fly on the side and all that stuff too. That does not happen as you are always tired from working.

Like I said before the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

And most people do not make 35,000 per month as people do on this board. I need to hang out with the people on this board as everyone here that does not fly airplanes makes at least 100,000 per year. Yeah right.

Last edited:
It all boils down to what's important to you. If you want something bad enough - you'll figure out a way to get it. I wanted more time at home, less travel, less surrounding of negativity (good luck in the cockpit), more money, more freedom, more positive people time, better health, more time off, no limits...no airline job can provide all of those things. In the real world...I have to chase them - but it's well worth it. Different strokes for different folks. It's in the choices we make. Just don't be like the typical moron American who talks a good game, then pi$$es when gass is at $3.00 a gal. Like someone else said - airlines...you can have it!

AZT

When the airline I worked for was shut down, I filed unemployment and took a pay raise.

DX Rick said:
When the airline I worked for was shut down, I filed unemployment and took a pay raise.

Nice. You're proud of that? Thanks for sucking working America dry - moron. And I'll be your the same one letting $3.00 gas run your life now, too. Pro.

AZT

AZ Typed said:
Nice. You're proud of that? Thanks for sucking working America dry - moron. And I'll be your the same one letting $3.00 gas run your life now, too. Pro.

AZT

Extremely. I was so glad to have sent out over 75 resumes, never to get an interview. It felt even better when I couldnt get a job delivering pizzas, or the open Sandwich maker spot at Blimpies in the gas station down the road.

I have my old boss trying to pull strings for me, so I can have my old job back of laying asphalt for the forest preserve. But I have to wait until the college help is gone for the summer.

Maybe if SWA wasn't on a spree to conquer the flying world, I might have a job still.

I left PDT and went back to laboratory medicine. The change has been good for me, as my salary markedly increased. Sure, I miss the guys, and the flying. But I wouldn't trade my stability or QOL for anything. In fact, my husband and I are building a 4000 sq ft house which would have never been possible had I stayed at PDT.

AZ Typed said:

AZT

How exactly is he sucking America dry?? You and I do not pay for the unemployment insurance, the buisness does.

Umemployment insurance is paid for by the company you work for. It is funded by taxes that are levied against all buisness and go into individual state coffers. The amount of taxes is very low and would not affect the bottom line of most companies, nor would it effect the price of goods sold. Take a look at the marginal tax rates on most companies in the United States, it is VERY low compared to the rest of the free world. Corporations do not pay high taxes, as the are always working the rules to cut their effective tax rates. So do not feel sorry for them for having to pay UI taxes.

It is a benefit that is offfered by the states to people who are without a job and presently working for employment elsewhere. If he wants to take it and run with it so be it, but DO NOT critize the benefits of others until you are in there shoes. If you are in avaition you WILL be in his/her shoes at one point in time in your life, I would be wiliing to bet my life on that simple fact.

Good luck with your future!

Latest resources

Back