• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

career change success stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious why those (previous posts) who got out of flying because they hated the situation are still surfing this board. Perhaps some part of them wants back in????? Just an idea.

I left flying for another job when NWA kicked me to the curb in the spring of 2002. It took awhile but I finally landed a great job as a manufacturing engineer using a 20 year old degree in mechanical engineering.

I work at a plant that's 5 miles from home, 8:00 to 4:30 and can have any day or afternoon off with 5 minutes notice. The people I work with are superb, my boss is great and I enjoy the work. Being home every night has brought me closer to my teenage kids and if I think about it hard enough I can almost convince myself that the layoff was a blessing for our family. Almost.

The job I left was great, not as much fun as flying F-16's in the military but I thoroughly enjoyed the job (not to be confused with the company). Unfortunately the job I left is no longer there. By the time they finish gutting the contract and lowering the wages I'm not sure if the job will be worth returning to. I'm only about 25 from recall, but given the chance I wouldn't give up my current job to return now. They could easily furlough another 1000 if scope is lost in the next rush to concessions.

I read these boards every couple of weeks; I still enjoy aviation and would like the opportunity to return to flying if the industry ever settles down. But after 3 plus years I'm no longer holding my breath waiting for the job to return.

Jim, furloughed and enjoying life

Flying_Corporal said:
This is a wrong msg board to get a good opinion poll. Everyone here is either flying for a living or aspiring to fly for a living.FC

Wrong.

Flying_Corporal said:
Those that once flew and decided to quit probably don't read messages in regional airline msg board.
FC

Wrong, again.

jetpig32 said:
Just curious why those (previous posts) who got out of flying because they hated the situation are still surfing this board. Perhaps some part of them wants back in????? Just an idea.

Want back in? Maybe - but what I need to go "back in" just will not happen. Once a pilot - flying is in your sould, wouldn't you agree?

That's why I browse the boards now and again. Good idea, though.

AZT

I left to get some other business experience. I don't want to be like a buddy of mine who is 53 yrs old, been through 3 airline shutdowns, 3 furloughs, 10 paycuts, his wife took the kids and left, and he has nothing to show for his 20+ years in the industry but a CHQ FO uniform now.

It's not worth it anymore.

Besides, the technology in the pipeline now at the major design organizations is going to make piloting even less of a skill and with that comes less pay.

I left to get some other business experience. I don't want to be like a buddy of mine who is 53 yrs old, been through 3 airline shutdowns, 3 furloughs, 10 paycuts, his wife took the kids and left, and he has nothing to show for his 20+ years in the industry but a CHQ FO uniform now.

It's not worth it anymore.

Besides, the technology in the pipeline now at the major design organizations is going to make piloting even less of a skill and with that comes less pay.

I do check back though because I like to keep a pulse on what's happening with my former employer.

I second that. I've seen to many pilots lose 3-7 jobs in a lifetime only to begin at the bottom with pi$$ poor wage. When I got furloughed for the third time I said that's it. Since than I reconnected with my wife and am home everyday. Sure I miss the layovers,but now I can actual buy a full price beer and not feel bad stealing it from the plane.

I've been testing at police departments again (I did the same after 9-11). As many have said before, it's not worth what may or may not come in the long run. I'm missing out on too much now (family, friends, etc..). The minute one of those departments calls I'm out the door to a much happier life. I do not plan on leaving aviation completly though. I'll still fly odd jobs here and there on the side and also fly for fun again when I feel like it. I will miss some of the layovers though, but this time it will be better because I'll be able to take my family with me and positive space is a good thing.

UNbelievable!!

I can't believe I'm reading a career change thread about people wanting to leave flying to go work in business. You guys are F***Ing out of your minds to comtemplate such nonsense. I left what anyone here could term a succesful business career to fly. AT the end I was making as much as a senior captain does now at my line. I would not go back if they DOUBLED my pay, you don't know how good you got it. I love this job, wish I'd been here 20 years earlier rather than all that effort I wasted on the corporate crap. I get more time off, I work with competent people, NO politics, I come in, do my job, go home. I worked in business and flew in the back of the bus all the time wishing I was up front. I'm still in the bus but I've moved up to first class (forward facing windows) and I don't have to go to those stupid meetings anymore. A definite upgrade. Read "Dilbert" if you want to know what the life on an engineer is like. You think management treats the workers bad? They treat each other even worse. When you are on salary they think they own you. You don't get time off.

I was management, a Senior Technical Director. I hated it and will NEVER, NEVER go back to an office job. I spent all day surrounded by morons who I would never voluntarily choose to be around. In this job, the rare ass is endured for 4 days max and I don't see him again for months. And the vast majority are great guys that I consider it a privelige to work with, Heck, some of them know more about flying that I do! :)

I used to ride around in the Lear a lot, wishing I was up front, I'd read "Professional Pilot" magazines that the pilots had left and see an article about moving to the back. I couldn't believe it because I was reading flying magazines trying to figure out how I could get a seat up front while they were reading articles about how to get a seat in back. Is NOBODY happy with there life?! Well, I am, and I will stay a pilot as long as I can pass the med and checkrides. I'll drive a truck before I go back to a GD office.

just my $.02 worth, I return you to your regular BS.

tj

tjsatter said:
I can't believe I'm reading a career change thread about people wanting to leave flying to go work in business. You guys are F***Ing out of your minds to comtemplate such nonsense. I left what anyone here could term a succesful business career to fly. AT the end I was making as much as a senior captain does now at my line. I would not go back if they DOUBLED my pay, you don't know how good you got it. I love this job, wish I'd been here 20 years earlier rather than all that effort I wasted on the corporate crap. I get more time off, I work with competent people, NO politics, I come in, do my job, go home. I worked in business and flew in the back of the bus all the time wishing I was up front. I'm still in the bus but I've moved up to first class (forward facing windows) and I don't have to go to those stupid meetings anymore. A definite upgrade. Read "Dilbert" if you want to know what the life on an engineer is like. You think management treats the workers bad? They treat each other even worse. When you are on salary they think they own you. You don't get time off.

I was management, a Senior Technical Director. I hated it and will NEVER, NEVER go back to an office job. I spent all day surrounded by morons who I would never voluntarily choose to be around. In this job, the rare ass is endured for 4 days max and I don't see him again for months. And the vast majority are great guys that I consider it a privelige to work with, Heck, some of them know more about flying that I do! :)

I used to ride around in the Lear a lot, wishing I was up front, I'd read "Professional Pilot" magazines that the pilots had left and see an article about moving to the back. I couldn't believe it because I was reading flying magazines trying to figure out how I could get a seat up front while they were reading articles about how to get a seat in back. Is NOBODY happy with there life?! Well, I am, and I will stay a pilot as long as I can pass the med and checkrides. I'll drive a truck before I go back to a GD office.

just my $.02 worth, I return you to your regular BS.

tj

see if you still feel that way after 3 pay cuts and 2 furloughs.

Latest resources

Back