• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career Advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have an ATP, CFI, II, and MEI along with over 4,000 hours of flight time that I will trade you for your IT certifications and experience. :D

Hi I'm just writing in to get some honest advice. I'm 33, a college graduate working in the IT field today making around $100k/year.

Been flying since 2000, and just recently completed my Commercial Multi Instrument rating.. I have about 750 hours and have been recently seriously thinking about a career change. I am just so sick of the IT field I can't stand it anymore and aviation has always been my dream.

I always tell everyone that flying is a lot better than working for a living. I have been flying for 43 years and I still enjoy it. Somedays more than others. I turned down offers from the airlines that would have required me to be a strike breaker. (Eastern, Continental and United) I have remained in corporate flying and had a bunch of jobs but it has been a great run overall. I also turned down a career as a stockbroker at one point to go fly a Citation 500. Good advise from a lot of the guys here but if you aren't happy with IT then I would do something that would make you happy or at least give it a try.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
Good luck to you.

Well said

I always tell everyone that flying is a lot better than working for a living. I have been flying for 43 years and I still enjoy it. Somedays more than others. I turned down offers from the airlines that would have required me to be a strike breaker. (Eastern, Continental and United) I have remained in corporate flying and had a bunch of jobs but it has been a great run overall. I also turned down a career as a stockbroker at one point to go fly a Citation 500. Good advise from a lot of the guys here but if you aren't happy with IT then I would do something that would make you happy or at least give it a try.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
Good luck to you.
you must be one of those guys who flies cause he likes to. what a concept, otherwise you may be dissappointed

Hi I'm just writing in to get some honest advice. I'm 33, a college graduate working in the IT field today making around $100k/year.

Been flying since 2000, and just recently completed my Commercial Multi Instrument rating.. I have about 750 hours and have been recently seriously thinking about a career change. I am just so sick of the IT field I can't stand it anymore and aviation has always been my dream.

I figure I have a head start on a lot of guys who decide to change careers at my age since I already have a few ratings under my belt. What do you think would be the best route for me to go at this point? I actually used to know a guy who had a 135 operation, and I was trying to find him to see if he can put me on flying charter, but I doubt I meet the requirements for it yet. I only have about 50 hours multi time.

So at this point what should I do? Should I take some time off work and just go get my CFI-CFII ? Or do you think its possible to just jump right in and start flying charters or something similar to that right now?

I don't really have a big interest in teaching, I just feel like I've already done everything with a 172 that I care to do, I want to move onto something else, and if I teach I'll just be in the right seat of a 172 for the next.. well.. how long do you think it would be before something better came along? Its not that I would mind teaching for awhile, I love aviation, and that would keep me close to what I love to do.. But I just wonder how long I would have to do that for until I could get a better job...

And how much would I get paid now? I heard that the pay has come up a bit for CFIs over the past few years.. Is that really true? Would I be better off at a part 61 or a 141 school? I wonder if I did my training for CFI at a flight school, would they make an agreement to hire me afterwards? Do flight schools generally do that sort of thing ever?

Comments? Oh and btw I'm in Fort Lauderdale, FL...

You live in FL with tons of small 135 operators. Find a few single engine outfits and see if they would be willing to add you as a part timer for weekend flights. You won't make much, but you'll be able to keep your real job and fly as a professional pilot on the side. You'll probably really enjoy the work, too, since you won't be surrounded by aviation 24/7.

Latest resources

Back