Career Advice Please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetboy

I am a captain at a "major" regional airline, about 600 out of 2500 or so. I have an opportunity to fly for a local 135/management company, making about $20K less for the first year. It would take me around 4 years to be back at my current salary. Sounds like a no brainer, but read on...

I am a commuter to my airline job, and moving is not an option. I will live where I am forever and under no circumstances will move for a flying job. The 135/management company is an extremely well run company, been in business several decades and has never had financial problems, i.e. furloughs. The airline business as you all know, is subject to anything. I am very familiar with their operations (close buddy already works there and has for several years) and know they are first class. I would have significantly more home time and with a new baby that is my top priority. It would also allow me to persue other interests outside aviation, something that I am wanting to do.

My overall career goals are not necessarily to fly for a major, although if in 5-10 years they are hiring again, I would likely apply. However it is possible that in that time frame I will have gotten out of the industry all together, as that is a definate possibility. Any and all advice is appreciated.
http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

Jetboy said:
I am a captain at a "major" regional airline, about 600 out of 2500 or so. I have an opportunity to fly for a local 135/management company, making about $20K less for the first year. It would take me around 4 years to be back at my current salary. Sounds like a no brainer, but read on...

I am a commuter to my airline job, and moving is not an option. I will live where I am forever and under no circumstances will move for a flying job. The 135/management company is an extremely well run company, been in business several decades and has never had financial problems, i.e. furloughs. The airline business as you all know, is subject to anything. I am very familiar with their operations (close buddy already works there and has for several years) and know they are first class. I would have significantly more home time and with a new baby that is my top priority. It would also allow me to persue other interests outside aviation, something that I am wanting to do.

My overall career goals are not necessarily to fly for a major, although if in 5-10 years they are hiring again, I would likely apply. However it is possible that in that time frame I will have gotten out of the industry all together, as that is a definate possibility. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Sounds like TAG or Air Group to me. The stability of the job will only be as good as the owner. If the owner up and sells his airplane you MIGHT still have a job.

As far as schedule goes, keep in mind that it always at the owners discression. Some guys are great, others are ogor's.

Good luck

You really sound like you are leaning towards leaving the airline for more family time and personal time yet in the next paragraph you mention that you would probably re-apply in 5-10 years if they were hiring. If you would go back to the airlines, don't leave. If you want to be with your family and to stop commuting, then take the 135 job. (just be mindful of what G100 driver mentioned.)

Tough choice, family (new baby) and QOL however, should make this an easier decision.

you beat me with the above post. If it's a solid job, and you can return to your current pay rate within four years, it may be very worth it. What does your wife have to say?

My wife says my career=my choice. The money isn't really that much of an issue since we did just fine before I upgraded, plus she makes a good paycheck.

You are right on the money with the contradictions. That is the problem. I don't know if the lure of airline flying will always be there. The way the industry is going it doesn't look like it though. The QOL would probably win. Although that buddy that works there is trying SW and FED because he wants more cash. However he has never flown 121, although the QOL at those 2 is probably better than it will ever be at a regional.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

...take the 135 gig, just make sure they ase as solid as you say....take the pay cut man...money ain't everything when your family is on the line

Jetboy said:
My wife says my career=my choice.

That's what my fiance says, that way, when I make the wrong decision, she can rub it in my face, but when I make the right decision, it looks like she supported me! :D
Seriously, you've seen the other side (commuting, spending 3-4 days on the road at a time) and the fun seems to me wearing off. Now you will have the majority of your time at home. Not knowing all of the details in your situation, I would have to say, take the 135 gig. It sounds like you've researched it to death and the finances aren't an issue. Tell me what the down-side is? I can give you an up-side: more family time. That would win in my book, especially with a brand spankin' new kid at home. Sure there will be times when you will be gone for 7-10 days but your # of overnights will probably be cut in half. At my company I'm spending about 75 days a year in a hotel room, and that includes my time at school.

whats the name of the 135 company anyway.??..maybe we can help you make that decision If we know good or bad things about that certain company.....

Latest resources

Back