• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Caravan Training help?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have you checked ALL of FSafety's locations?

I was told the same thing when I went for my initial 340 training, but called a couple of them and let them know my situation, and to call me in case of any cancellations.

I had to go to Wichita when I wanted Long Beach, but they got me in within a couple of weeks.

The weather wasn't as good, but I did get to spend an hour or two seeing some Caravans and Citations being built one day (compliments of FS).

Godvek said:
Have fun, I loved flying the 208, just try to stay out of icing, you might not make it out alive.

Eh...out of the the last 17 accidents since 1997 that had ice as a contributing factor, all are pilot error. Taking off with crap on the wings, climbing and then not maintaining airspeed, etc..

The Caravan doesn't like ice and doesn't do very well with it. But, you just need to be smart and have plan A, Plan B and Plan C.

The Caravan can be flown in ice, just need to stay ahead of it and be decisive.

Back to the topic, I 2nd Pan am.

Ill Mitch said:
Eh...out of the the last 17 accidents since 1997 that had ice as a contributing factor, all are pilot error. Taking off with crap on the wings, climbing and then not maintaining airspeed, etc..

The Caravan doesn't like ice and doesn't do very well with it. But, you just need to be smart and have plan A, Plan B and Plan C.

The Caravan can be flown in ice, just need to stay ahead of it and be decisive.

Back to the topic, I 2nd Pan am.
True, being decisive, is what making good PIC judgements are all about.

One of those decisive moments, might be to stay on top or between layers, before accepting a descent clearance without an approach clearance to a non-towered airport. I have been caught in that trap twice, with the Caravan.

Inevitabally, some GA pilot or whoever, will forget to cancel and there you are, picking up the worst icing you can imagine at 4,000 feet. Next thing you know, you get told to hold at the marker, because dipstick didn't cancel.

The problem with the van is, about the time you realize the icing is bad and you're busy de-cyphering the holding entry with your "sporty hold entry computer", it's going to be way past time that you'll be able to climb back to 8,000 or 10,000 to hold on top...because you'll never get back up there.

My plan will be the same this winter, regarding icing conditions...If I get a descend clearance, without an approach clearance, I will decline the clearance until we get a cancellation from the previous traffic.

Your only other option in a Caravan once you have been sucked into this trap, is to hold untill you get to the minimum recommended icing speed of 120 knots, then declare your emergency and shoot the approach anyway...or do what I did the last time I got suckered into this trap...start screaming at the airport manager on UNICOM. :eek:

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
Inevitabally, some GA pilot or whoever, will forget to cancel and there you are, picking up the worst icing you can imagine at 4,000 feet. Next thing you know, you get told to hold at the marker, because dipstick didn't cancel.

Thats when I give ATC my two favorite words: BL0W ME- and shoot the approach/land anyways. His swivel chair isn't turning into an ice sculpture.

I hear you on not descending without the approach clearance. That's a pretty good idea for when it's bad. The boots are pretty effective at 160 or above- figures that the plane will only go that fast in a descent.

Latest resources

Back