Caravan Ice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
ooh ooh...I read this once...it's in the high 160s isn't it? 168?

Am I even close?

-mini
I bet avbug knows :pimp:

One thing is for sure, you won't exceed that tire speed with any significant airframe icing, even with power on in the downhill slide of an approach, unless you've stalled.

Last edited:
Ditto what was said above. Avoid icing at all costs, but if that is not possible set your limits and stick to them. I used to use "if i lose 10 kts of airspeed I would start selecting airports I could land at; if i lose 20 kts I'm going there."

Be sure to check PIREPs for tops/icing and familiarize yourself with SKEW-T charts. It graphs temp. and dew point with altitude and will give you a good idea of where the tops will be.

Have fun!! Caravans are a blast to fly.

If you're new to the van, I'd recommend attending a caravan safety seminar. Cessna puts them on for free every year around the country. You can find info at www.caravanpilots.com. Steve McNew is the guy who puts them on and does a good job of explaining icing scenarios in the van. I think he was involved in all the initial flight testing in icing conditions up in Alaska. Anyway its a lot of good information, some of which you've heard before, but never hurts to hear again. They also give out caravan cd's and the NASA tail stall DVD. They provide free food and drinks as well. Really no excuse not to go if there is one near you.

FN FAL said:
I bet avbug knows :pimp:

One thing is for sure, you won't exceed that tire speed with any significant airframe icing, even with power on in the downhill slide of an approach, unless you've stalled.

hmm...I think I'm high by 20 kts...I'll go with 148...final ansa!

-mini

Hand Commander said:
If you're new to the van, I'd recommend attending a caravan safety seminar. Cessna puts them on for free every year around the country. You can find info at www.caravanpilots.com. Steve McNew is the guy who puts them on and does a good job of explaining icing scenarios in the van. I think he was involved in all the initial flight testing in icing conditions up in Alaska. Anyway its a lot of good information, some of which you've heard before, but never hurts to hear again. They also give out caravan cd's and the NASA tail stall DVD. They provide free food and drinks as well. Really no excuse not to go if there is one near you.
I hear they are good. I'm going to one Monday night. Free food! :nuts:

Didn't really want to since I've only got a few more weeks left in the 'Van, but I didn't really want to give my notice yet either, so I'm going anyways.

I've been flying the van for 5 long years now and will tell you what I do. Climb at 115 knots. What you get for climb rate is what you get. Don't mingle around in the ice and on the approach it is a no flap landing. I have never had much problem with it. As far as the FAA and Cessna getting together for "mods". They just cut the icing weight back to 8000 lbs on the "b" model and 7600 lbs gross on the "a" model. Good luck and that vibration you feel is just the prop NOT shedding anything!!!!

i have never flown in icing conditions, so i have a question: how quickly does the ice melt/fall off after you leave the visible moisture you're in by either climbing or descending? if you descend into warmer air, does it take a while or does it really just depend on the thickness and type of ice?

I used to wax the boots during winter to make them real slippery. I forget the name of the stuff but I think it's in Sporty's catalog. I recall that it helped quite a bit.

Ryan

As far as how long it takes to melt??? It depends on how much you have on and the outside ambient temperature.

My company is gracious enough to put 1 can of "ice X" in each of our aircraft just in case we feel the need to appy for extra protection. The mechanics apply this stuff once a month anyway but it seems to lose it's effectiveness after about two or three de-icings. The onlt thing with "ice X" is that it needs 24 hours to cure on the boots. But it IS expensive (about $180) last time I bought a can. It is the best stuff around though. Think of it as life insurance. We fly in the ice every day for about 4 months at a time. Just my .02

Latest resources

Back