• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Captains that say "I'm laid back"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Please don't do anything that may kill us or cause us to lose our certificates. If you see me doing something that may kill us or cause us to lose our certificates please bring it to my attention. Any questions?"

Nice! I love it.

I say only this: "If you think I forgot something, it's not a test. I did. Please point it out!"

;)

I like it when someone says "I'm laid back, but I pretty much go by the book."

What?

What is with you captains that say "I'm laid back" in the pre-briefing? These are the guys that end up being totally anal every time. As soon as I hear those words from a captain I cringe and say to myself "this is going to be a long 4-day." You know what, the guys that aren't anal are the ones that don't have to self-proclaim their so called laid back nature before flying with someone.

so. it happens once.....therefore a blanket statement is in order. Right.

What is with you captains that say "I'm laid back" in the pre-briefing? These are the guys that end up being totally anal every time. As soon as I hear those words from a captain I cringe and say to myself "this is going to be a long 4-day." You know what, the guys that aren't anal are the ones that don't have to self-proclaim their so called laid back nature before flying with someone.

The guys who complain this are the WORST FIRST OFFICERs in the system.

They rarely have the preflight done before reading the checklist, don't read the checklist properly, and constantly have to be reminded about their responsibilites as the pilot-not-flying or whatever you call it at your airline.

I wish you success!
William

BTW - I'm one of the FO's that cringes when I hear "Laid back" or "By the book," but I don't complain about it. I double my efforts to make certain the Captain doesn't get me violated. He doesn't know the difference and usually ends up buying me dinner and saying what a good FO I am.

This is CRM - learn it, live it, love it.

This thread sucks.

What is with you captains that say "I'm laid back" in the pre-briefing?

Absolutely guaranteed FOM memorizing, ass-clenching, satan's spawn. Every time. Truly laid back captain's are sufficiently laid back that they are too lazy to bother with unnecessary qualiitative opinions of themselves. What normal human being does that? "Hello, I'm a really good guy, like puppies and long walks on the beach, scored 1590 on my SATs, oh and my name is John, nice to meet you." WTF.

"I'm by the book" is your indication to prepare for unstable approaches, horrible airmanship, and non-standard "this is how the training department is going to have us do it soon" made up mandatory procedures and a double standard for left versus right seats.

This phenomena pisses me off to no end.

Latest resources

Back