Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm laid-back when it's my leg...

I'm by the book when it's yours...

Now where's my coffee? Two creams - Three sugars...

Any questions?

Love it!

This is what I tell all my FO's:
"There are only 3 things I want to hear out of you for the next 4 days: clear right, you're right, and I'll take the fat."

OVER

cool captains don't have to say anything...they just are.

best type of captain? consistent. even the one's who are anal. if you know what you're dealing with on a consistent basis, it doesn't matter what the guy/girl are like.

mookie

best type of captain? consistent. even the one's who are anal. if you know what you're dealing with on a consistent basis, it doesn't matter what the guy/girl are like.

mookie
Mookie hit it right on the head... predictable and consistent

Nah, you've all got it wrong. The best captains are the ones who understand the plight of the newhire FO. All this sim stuff, and 121 flying, is very confusing. Everyone knows it's the captain's job to really teach the FOs how to be a pilot. Let's face it, the instrument rating and checkride was really just an afternoon of paperwork down in Florida; we can't possibly be expected to know anything about instrument flying, can we? No way, it's definately the captain's job to teach us all there is to know about flying, and instrument flying in particular. As a matter of fact, I for one think that there should be no 'training department', per se'. Nope, the most effective policy would be for captains to be paired with newhire FOs from the get-go. This would save money on training costs that could be directly applied to the newhire FOs paycheck. In fact, I really think that while during this training period, I think 12 months ought to do it, the FO should be paid more than the captain. Really, it's a lot more work to be the FO; add the extra stress involved with all this learning and putting up with all these 'uptight' captains, and it really makes sense that the captains should make, well, maybe 60% of what the FOs make.

Just a modest proposal, what do you 4-stripers think?

mookie

+1 on this. Well said.

Nah, you've all got it wrong. The best captains are the ones who understand the plight of the newhire FO. All this sim stuff, and 121 flying, is very confusing. Everyone knows it's the captain's job to really teach the FOs how to be a pilot. Let's face it, the instrument rating and checkride was really just an afternoon of paperwork down in Florida; we can't possibly be expected to know anything about instrument flying, can we? No way, it's definately the captain's job to teach us all there is to know about flying, and instrument flying in particular. As a matter of fact, I for one think that there should be no 'training department', per se'. Nope, the most effective policy would be for captains to be paired with newhire FOs from the get-go. This would save money on training costs that could be directly applied to the newhire FOs paycheck. In fact, I really think that while during this training period, I think 12 months ought to do it, the FO should be paid more than the captain. Really, it's a lot more work to be the FO; add the extra stress involved with all this learning and putting up with all these 'uptight' captains, and it really makes sense that the captains should make, well, maybe 60% of what the FOs make.

Just a modest proposal, what do you 4-stripers think?

The captain's job is to be a pilot for the company and PIC of the aircraft. Though they may be very effective flight instructors and I admire those who are, its not what a captain is there to do. Its not the main part of their job description. If you're gonna do that, put the money saved in the captain's paycheck, not the FO's.

In fact, if a newhire FO goes all the way through general aviation training, gets interviewed, hired, and completes airline training yet still is not able to act as a required crewmember, they shouldn't be there. A part 121 airliner is not a basic aircraft and you shouldn't be receiving basic flight instruction in it. You should already know what you're doing by the time you sit down in one. Sure, there is going to be adjustment to the nature of the operation, learning technique for the aircraft, etc, but thats different than learning how to be an instrument pilot.

Those captains just look like they're not working as hard because they're experienced and know what they're doing. Captains are paid more because their a** is the one on the line. They're the ones who are making the tough decisions and the ones who have to answer for them later.

Latest resources

Back