Captains off the street?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question

Is there anyway, contractually speaking, that a street capt could be displaced to FO if there are now upgrade qualified FOs? Im curious, we dont have that situation here at Skyway.

GP

SO what is the quality of life at Pinnacle? I have heard some bad things. Is the quick upgrade gonna end pretty soon? My estimate would be if you are not a street captain by April you will be eating bread and water for quite some time. what are the thoughts on that? I only ask this cause I am ready to be out of QX, but I cant take an $11-$12/hour pay cut to go to Pinnacle. I think it would be fun to head there but any ideas of upgrade times when the big captain push ends?

Displacements typicaly go by seniority and since an off the street captain is junior, in comparison, they could go first if necessary. They wont however displace a captain to f/o so another f/o can upgrade to captain.

Thanks

Lrjet55 said:
Displacements typicaly go by seniority and since an off the street captain is junior, in comparison, they could go first if necessary. They wont however displace a captain to f/o so another f/o can upgrade to captain.

Thanks, that is what I thought. That is how Skyway is setup but I was curious if that was universal.

GP

Thanks everyone for the replies. And, no I'm not trying to jump in front of people... senority is senority! I would still be the low man. But many companies practice this policy for precisely the reason Humty72 described. I'm just trying to keep my PIC turbine growing.

Cheers!

Humty72 said:
if they don't have f/o's that meet the minimum requirments for upgrade (or fo's that have the time but choose not to) then what would you propose?

Oh, I don't know, lower the minimums maybe? Pinnacle's insurance doesn't require 3000 TT, it's the Chief Pilot's arbitrary rule. If we lowered it by just a couple hundred hours then we could fill all upgrade slots with current FOs that have been with the company for some time now. That's a much better solution as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the street captains we have now, and I won't have anything against the street captains that are coming in. But I do think that management needs to rethink this policy. Wouldn't it be better to lower the minimums just slightly so that we can have people upgrading that are already familiar with our operation and equipment? We have people being offered Captain slots right out of initial that have zero jet time from what I've heard. That's not a good idea.

Shamrock,

Nice Avatar. Only Varitek is a Wuss as he made sure he kept the mask and helmet on so Arod wouldn't make hamburger meat out of his face. :D

A prospective "street captain" should be a lot more worried about passing that checkride than what others will think of them. A street captain checkride is about the hardest training anyone can do because of the volume of material to learn.

After that, plan on getting used to reserve. That's where seniority bites you. FOs will upgrade in front of you and bump you back for the next 5 years.

Nobody cares in regards to "future employers". This isn't PFT, scabbing or anything like that, so don't even go there.

In some cases, being on reserve isn't even an issue.

I was a street captain at Colgan many years ago and never did a day of reserve.

In addition, the checkride wasn't all that difficult, but that was likely because I already had time in type.

However, I agree that what ifly4food wrote applies to a place like Pinnacle.

English said:
In some cases, being on reserve isn't even an issue.

I was a street captain at Colgan many years ago and never did a day of reserve.

In addition, the checkride wasn't all that difficult, but that was likely because I already had time in type.

However, I agree that what ifly4food wrote applies to a place like Pinnacle.

English, I dig your Avatar. Where is that?

Latest resources

Back