• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Captain Upgrade at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i thnk 5-7 years is a honest good guess... with 6 being the median and current time frame. FO pay is outstanding and ramps up quickly though.

canyonblue737 said:
i thnk 5-7 years is a honest good guess... with 6 being the median and current time frame. FO pay is outstanding and ramps up quickly though.

Just questioning your math here. How would 6 be the "median"? The median means there are the same number above and below. From the previous poster's research, assuming it's correct, the absolute shortest time listed is six years, four months.

So a median, taking all of the upgrades into account would be well above seven years.

Where did you get the 5 from? I don't know if that guy's work is correct, but if so, there doesn't seem to be a five year upgrade at Southwest, it looks like it's almost seven years at the earliest, later if you're based in the South.

I'd guess 4-8 years for a newhire.

I think the most honest answer will be that it will take at least 4 years, probably more like 6 or more to be a junior captain at a junior base. I'd be happy with 8 as a recent newhire.

Any guess beyond 4 years at any airline is a wild guess in my opinion... a lot can happen in that period of time. Just think where this industry was 5 years ago (pre-9/11).

Also, remember the longevity of current upgrades is NOT indicative of a newhire's upgrade time.

The good news is, like StopNTSing and canyonblue said, being a senior FO is a pretty good deal!:)

Alcatraz said:
I'd guess 4-8 years for a newhire.

I'm sorry, I just gotta call "bull" on this. Where in the hell did you even come up with four years?

Y'know, I think it's great that SWA is actually upgrading and that's something that can't even be said about a good part of the industry, but I've been hearing these fantasy numbers from you guys for years now. I suspect the very last five year upgrade at SWA to ever happen happened before Sept. 11th.

Some math here: if you're a new-hire, you have to wait for the airline to double in size (unless there's huge retirements, no so at SWA) to upgrade. They have over 450 planes, so how long to 900? Four years? Not.

I'm not complaining about SWA, just about your guy's tendancy to ignore the reality. "How long to upgrade?" "About four years." WTF? Name the last guy that upgraded in four years?

I have several friends over there, most hired after Sept. 11th and nobody is anywhere near upgrade. As that guy who actually looked up the numbers (imagine that!) showed, upgrade is nearly seven years, eight at some domiciles, not four not five and not six. Unless SWA buys another airline and staples, that upgrade time isn't going to jump down.

Jet Blue, Airtran and others are upgrading in four years or so, but SWA is no longer. It's the new reality.

Since you are already typed on the 737, when you DO upgrade, is it just another recurrent? Or do you have to go to another 2 weeks of training?

Upgrade

I have first hand knowledge of upgrade NOW. As you know, the time it takes to upgrade ebbs and flows. However, I don't think it will shorten appeciably in the future.

I have a Sep '99 hire date and could be a lance captain in BWI or MDW. I am within a couple of numbers from being a lance in HOU. I think a good number if 6-61/2 to lance and close to 7 for capt.

FWIT,

Cheesemo

My 2 cents at upgrade times

I think that the current approx. 6.5 year upgrade time at Southwest is due to the 2 to 3 years of very limited hiring after Sept 2001. My guess (hope) is that for people hired after 2004 the upgrade time will come back down towards the more traditional earliest possible upgrade time of 4.5 to 5 years (assuming that hiring at SWA continues at current rates and scheduled retirements happen at age 60)

Pinto said:
I think that the current approx. 6.5 year upgrade time at Southwest is due to the 2 to 3 years of very limited hiring after Sept 2001. My guess (hope) is that for people hired after 2004 the upgrade time will come back down towards the more traditional earliest possible upgrade time of 4.5 to 5 years (assuming that hiring at SWA continues at current rates and scheduled retirements happen at age 60)

well based on the SWAPA calculator which has known retirements and the assumption that SWA will excersize all Boeing order options I show a 6 year upgrade to lance, 6 year 4 month to captain for a 05 hire.... obviously if SWA somehow gets MORE airplanes than planned that all changes, or if something in the contract changes etc.

radarlove said:
Just questioning your math here. How would 6 be the "median"? The median means there are the same number above and below. From the previous poster's research, assuming it's correct, the absolute shortest time listed is six years, four months.

So a median, taking all of the upgrades into account would be well above seven years.

Where did you get the 5 from? I don't know if that guy's work is correct, but if so, there doesn't seem to be a five year upgrade at Southwest, it looks like it's almost seven years at the earliest, later if you're based in the South.
You're assuming no one switches bases to upgrade faster. Most but not all do, so most people have upgraded at 6 to 6.5 years lately.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back