• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prayers

Dennis E. Fitch
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dennis E. "Denny" Fitch (born 1942) is a retired commercial airline pilot. He is best known for his critical actions as an off-duty DC-10 training captain who helped captain Al Haynes minimize loss of life on United Airlines Flight 232 when all flight controls were lost, on July 19, 1989. Fitch used differential throttle adjustment to steer the airliner to an oblique crash-landing at Sioux Gateway Airport, in Sioux City, Iowa, resulting in the survival of 185 out of 296 on-board.[1][2] After the crash, in which he was injured, he returned to flying duties with United Airlines.[3]
He was commended by then-President George H. W. Bush and in Senate Resolution 174 of the 101st Congress, as a result of his feat.[4]
A safety consultant to NASA as a member of the Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, he is also president of his own aviation consulting firm, specializing in Cockpit Resource Management and human factors, and gives motivational presentations to corporate groups and associations on teamwork, drawing on his experience on Flight 232.[5]
He was formerly a pilot in the Air National Guard, and attended Duquesne University.
Dennis Fitch was interviewed by Errol Morris about United Airlines Flight 232 for the documentary series First Person.[6]
Fitch's health began failing recently and in January of 2012 was diagnosed as having brain cancer.[7]
[edit]

I have always felt nothing but pride and purpose towards this profession when I think of the cockpit of UAL 232 from the moment it happened. They will always serve as a reminder of why we should take pride in what we do. I will never forget reading a book entitled 'Air Disaster 2' about UAL 232 where the subsection before the crashes is called 'Truimph of Skill and Judgement'. In my eyes it certainly capurted the moment and represents what Denny did for his profession. Hard not to be amazed at the many generations that have lived on due to the heroes of UAL 232

Survived Flight 232, but lost to brain cancer. That stinks. Saw him speak back in the 90's. RIP Capt. Fitch.

Very sad. I absolutely ####ing hate Cancer. The most despicable disease that man has ever contested. On a side note it's sad to think if Denny had carried out flying to 65 he would have only enjoyed a short 5 years in retirement for his YEARS of hard work. Very very sad.

A true hero who rejected the spot light and did his job....remember we get paid for what we might have to do. Rest in peace knowing your skills saved many lives.

Very sad. I absolutely ####ing hate Cancer. The most despicable disease that man has ever contested. On a side note it's sad to think if Denny had carried out flying to 65 he would have only enjoyed a short 5 years in retirement for his YEARS of hard work. Very very sad.

Ya but dude you could have like 1 million bucks to spend in 5 years that'd be AWESOME! Totally worth it.

Latest resources

Back