Capt. Woerth, (a.k.a. "Pilot God"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Law suit

About 3 weeks ago according to our MEC.I will find out all of the details when I go back to work and post them.

ALPA

I want someone to explain how it isn't a huge CONFLICT OF INTEREST to be representing both majors and WO's and/or independents under the same colors.

IT IS LUDICROUS!

Forget that it is aviation, you simply can't represent both sides of a now complex issue that DISCRIMINATES against regional pilots.

Granted, Alpa is the biggest, but as someone said there is teamsters or others, but with a litlle organization, the web, some grassroots effort, RALPA COULD be born!

IF YOUR NOT FOR US, YOUR AGAINST US!

The conflict of interest is going to exist as long as you have separate groups (regionals, nationals, majors). Fair representation (more seats on the ALPA national board) would help balance the power. Instead of fighting a huge financial monster with a startup union, in which case the major pilots will still have more influence in the outcome, it might be better to act as a cancer from within to kill it while using some of the major boys cash to help finance it.

Good luck to the Allegheny and Comair pilot groups. You guys should do what ALPA does and solicit financial support from other airline pilots as any positive outcome will set a precedent for all.

ACWild said:
it might be better to act as a cancer from within to kill it while using some of the major boys cash to help finance it.

What a ridiculous statement!! In typical pilot fashion..we'll just cut off our whole face, not just our nose, out of spite.

I think even the most stauch RJDC supporters would agree that this is not their objective. While they may be taking the drastic measures that they believe are necessary, the objective is to unite. Though management seems to be doing a good job with the divide and conquer whipsaw tactics, I'm sure they would welcome with open arms this "cancer" you are proposing.

But hey, at least you would have killed your "enemy".

The thing I'm talking about killing is the unfair representation that the majors have over the regionals and nationals, not ALPA itself, although from your perspective, maybe that's just the same. There would be more unity if the major pilots would stop ramming their issues down the little guys throats. ALPA, as it exists now, is a very strong tool that ensures that the little guys stay little and have no say in their futures.
You can accuse management as the cause of all the whipsawing, but if you've ever witnessed how ALPA national works against the little guys, then I can't imagine how you can say that airline management is the only enemy. Sometimes I think ALPA national works for management too.

Well if you were a furloughed pilot from one of the majors you might see things differently.
I have been on the street since last Oct. Almost a year later and what do I see. The major airlines are still cutting flights and pilots, yet their regional partners are increasing their flying and hiring pilots. They are buying RJs as fast as they can make them. And if you are a furloughed pilot you can't even get an interview with one of the regionals. You guys need to wake up and see the big picture of what is going on in the industry. The major airlines are shifting a large part of their flying to regional carriers for one reason. They can pay the pilots LESS. What APLA is fighting for is job security and your future. Since most of you regional guys hope to go to the majors one day, you should be supporting their efforts or you will not have a job to move up to.
If you want to fight something, fight your own management about hiring the most qualified pilots available, not excluding furloughed pilots just because they are furloughed.

If you want to fight something, fight your own management about hiring the most qualified pilots available, not excluding furloughed pilots just because they are furloughed.

Ha ha ha. Thanks for the great laugh. Yeah, the majors are known for always hiring the "most qualified pilots available."
As for being furloughed from a major... You're not the only one on the streets. Did you know that there are furloughed regional pilots out there too? Tell them about all the growth they're experiencing.

What APLA is fighting for is job security and your future.

Who's job security are they fighting for? It really depends on the side of the fence your're on.

I know many regional pilots were furloughed. However, many of them have been recalled and several of the regionals are hiring and expanding their schedules. The big difference is a regional pilot can get an interview and get hired at another regional. The pilots furloughed from the majors don't have that option even though most would be happy to work at a regional.

You are not exactly accurate. My airline is hiring (Comair). It has interviewed and hired furloughed major airline pilots as well as furloughed regional airline pilots.

Are you willing to resign your seniority number? If so, you can be hired.

Hey Hog,
I'm just curious, not trying to be wise or anything... Have you tried JetBlue. I know they are taking guys with A320 experience. Last I heard, JetBlues classes had many furloughed USAirways pilots.
Also, I know of many airlines hiring right now. They aren't perfect, but they are definitely better than many of the regionals. Those airlines are hiring boatloads of furloughed pilots. North American's newhires are about 90 percent furloughees (USAirways, Emery, Sun Country, etc.).
Are you trying to get in a regional to stay close to home or are you trying to go for any job?
Either way, best of luck.

Latest resources

Back