Capt=good

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nosehair

What's all this whining about a Commercial Airline Pilot Training program?
I think it is a good thing for all. Or it could be. I don't actually know what it is, but if it is a program that trains people off the street (no time) to become Airline First Officers, then it is a good thing. That is the way the military does it, and the way a lot of foriegn air carriers do it.

The main reason why it would be great if all U.S. Air Carriers trained their own pilots from the ground up is, that would stop (or slow) this crazy system of Flight Instructors using primary students to "build time" to get to the airlines. That is why the flight instructing business is the bottom of the barrel - there are too many "time builders" doing it for nothing.

And flying airline size airplanes is so different than small airplane general aviation flying that the two types of training don't mix.

Let the airline people get trained in specific types with specific crew duties and leave us single pilot airplane pilots to do our own kind of training.

The FAA should issue specific copilot certificates limited to airplane types and leave it at that.

and if the airlines would hire zero time applicants and train them to be first officers on the company's nickel, I agree, that would be great.

In the CAPT program, costs can soar above $80k for this training. Training, that many will argue is not applicable -- e.g. a DC-9 type rating. Where does 200-300hrs and a DC-9 type rating get you?

I think the message to prospective candidates is to be wary of this program, and gather as much info as possible. I think (not sure) that CAPT has been in existence for almost 2 years, and has only a handful of "success" stories. That's just good info for people to know.

Actually looks like an interesting program. Two very different worlds in the industry like what they see: ASA (a traditional and established carrier) and Focus (a 747 cargo start up).

I am forever amazed as to how many in this field are both resentful and envious (a wonderful combo ain't it?) of the good fortune and/or good choices of others. Relax, for cryin' out loud. If it goes well, it goes well, and if it doesn't what do you care?

I will clarify my earlier statement.
It is not financially viable to graduate from ERAU and THEN go to CAPT just for a 19,000 a year job, which is a maybe!
I have nothing against Ab Initio style training. It's just that I don't believe in this particular program....

I think CAPT is a bunch of BS. They send 4 people in a plane and tell the backseaters that they can log the time because they are doing the radios. This means the one that's driving doesn't do the radios. They are not flynng a jet, please teach them to do two things at the same time.

Flechas said:
They send 4 people in a plane and tell the backseaters that they can log the time because they are doing the radios.
That's a long reach to press the PTT switch! :p

User997 said:
That's a long reach to press the PTT switch! :p

As long as they don't say "with you", I'm ok with it.

Latest resources

Back