cape air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captain dad

I need to know what the average line is like for a new hire pilot. Days off, # of over nights or day trips, commutability, etc...

Also what are the second and third year pay scales. Is it all salary and what about per dieum?

What are the bases and what is junior.

I need the real goods no flame bait please.

thanks.

Did you get a job offer? Just curious. I have a buddy that has sent them a resume plenty of times. He has plenty of total time, 135 experience, has a current 402 letter, and still does not get a call back, yet they run ads all the time.

New hires usually get a 5/2 but you can get a 4/3 pretty quickly, if not right off the bat. Days are long so commuting is pretty much not an option. No CASS either. You will end at your base every night.

Pay is by the hour and might or might not go up second and third years.

There are a bunch of bases with HYA and BOS being junior in the summer. In the winter, junior bases would probably be SJU, PSE, MAZ and STX but things keep changing. Florida bases are very hard to get with continuing reductions there.

I'm dangling my worm!

thanks for the info. I have an interview but if I can't commute I probably won't be able to accept. I have a job right now but things are going south. I have applications everywhere. I have had several interviews. Either turned down or job wasn't for me.

Things will start to pick up next year.

Retirements are up and fuel costs are down. I know, got info from inside sources, that UA, NWA, and Delta will all start hiring off the street in 2007. Add that to CO already hiring, Alaska taking resumes, Midwest, SWA, AirTran, JetBlue, FedEX, etc... I am starting to see a trend. It's a Fact! Just like the human head weighs 8 pounds.

Did you get a job offer? Just curious. I have a buddy that has sent them a resume plenty of times. He has plenty of total time, 135 experience, has a current 402 letter, and still does not get a call back, yet they run ads all the time.

I have sent my resume and got an email back within two days saying I was qualified and to complete the application and return it. Did that and also spoke with Gene Smith, Pilot Recruiter. I have flown passengers in the caribbean before and I am aware of their operation in SJU. I was there when they first started in '98. Since I sent my application, I have called him at least once a week and left messages at his office number and his cell. Finally, yesterday I called HR and asked if he was still working for the company, since he has not returned my calls. They said yes, and left a message with the lady to return my call. He did not.

Last saturday I had a phone interview with Empire Airlines. On wednesday I got a letter saying, no thanks. At least this people where more professional and bother to spend time and money to say "Thank you" for your time.

If you get a 5/2 forget about home. If you are able to get a 4/3 you will work your last day until late evening. So, your first day off you will actually be commuting home. Your third day off you will be trying to commute back to work. Working for them makes sense if you want to live at your base, and be home every day. That's what I intended to do and told Gene. Looks like he didn't get it.

What was the number for that truck driving school?

There could be some valid reasons Gene did not get back to you. I would ask that you give him the benefit of the doubt for now. We are currently interviewing for some upcoming classes. We are planning some classes on Oct 23, Nov 6, and possibly Dec 4.

If you sent in the application and did not get called back, maybe there was something that disqualified you. I don't know I haven't seen the application. It is possible it got lost or maybe Gene made a mistake. Either way you can send me a PM if you are still interested.

If you are interested and qualified I am interested in seeing your application. You can include it in your PM. I have some say in interviewing and hiring pilots.

I apologize if Gene made a mistake, but bashing on a public forum may not be the best option.

Anyway good luck.

Sack

Just curious why you are interested in Cape Air and why you did not do more research before applying? The questions you asked you should have had the answers to before you ever applied.

I apologize if Gene made a mistake, but bashing on a public forum may not be the best option.

Anyway good luck.

Sack

Cape Air turns away qualified people everyday. Knowing someone, even just cordually (sp), will get you the interview. After that it is up too you. Turnover has been high lately, but just like any aviation job being able to have someone on the inside working for you will make your life much easier, even if it is to fly a 402. As for the turnover, people are leaving for higher paying jobs, or lower paying jet jobs. Pretty standard issue for a 402 operator.

Last edited:
If you sent in the application and did not get called back, maybe there was something that disqualified you. I don't know I haven't seen the application.

Anyway good luck.

Sack

Yes, I was not qualified because I am too qualified. You don't need to apologize for somebody else's mistake. If you are in the pilot's hiring committee I suggest that a proper response to every pilot is implemented. I was not the one to start this thread. Somebody else had the same experience.

With the airlines hiring again, and the majors will next year, recruiters will have to work harder to get the best pilots, and companies will have to start treating us better. We are on the upslope of the 10 years trend.

I have been turned down before, and I have turned down four offers already. Anyway I have an offer to go fly the A300 again sideways for a year and then upgrade. The catch is that I have to move to Asia. Cape Air was interested to me to move to my base and be home every night. Also because they pay better than the regionals. If I could afford 20K a year I would be sitting in the right seat of a RJ.

Good luck to you, and fly safe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back