Cape Air Washout Rate......High

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shamrock said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they do have an autopilot.

I was thinking of giving them a shot after ASA goes away, but I think I'll skip that if it really is all hand flying. After almost 4 years in a RJ, I'm just not that good.
I believe they must have a working autopilot OR an SIC to fly pax. Most of the time it's an autopilot, but I have known a few select people who were hired there as standby sic's - they were ramp workers though as well.

~wheelsup

rway36 said:
Good to see you came out of your hole. We have not heard from you for awhile.

Would love to here from some Cape Air people

I'm around, i typically post crap though rather than educational info someone could use. I probably make one good post for every 4 that are straight crap. I'm gonna go look over the colgan threads now, and access my options regarding what kind of crap I can add to them. Out.

Dude, give me a break! I've flown the 402 and there is absolutely nothing difficult about flying it. Quit bashing the rjs I've flown a 737 and can tell you that landing the CRJ on a 4500' strip is a whole lot more demanding than flying your routine 737 trips and landing on long (6000'+) runways!

The Cape Air Training is hard core!!! Evan Cushings has done a fine job of revamping the process. It's a relatively short program (2 weeks), and you have a lot to learn. There are daily written exams and a final. The flight training is divided between a sim and the aircraft. The sim is mostly used to learn the flows and remind pilots on how to fly an ADF hold and approach (a highly vakued skill at Cape). The training is demanding but I do know of at least one lawyer who has gotten through it.

rway36 said:
Just wondering why the washout rate has been so high the last few classes to go through at Cape Air. Is it the training departments normal way there or the quality of the new hires.

PM if you wish

Sounds like not such a bad gig

commuter flying in a light piston twin, single pilot IFR is the toughest job I ever had. I'm glad I did it, learned alot, I would not choose to do it again.

It's not a low time pilot job, but because of the pay that's all they can get.

Good luck, be carefull

Hell, I used to fly on them sometimes in the Carribbean. I remember being in a full 402, with lotsa folks on board. We take off out of TISX, and are creeping up at a climb rate of about 500 fpm. I remember looking down at the ocean, looking at the climb perfomance thinking, holy $hit.....if we lose an engine we are for sure swimming with the sharkys!!!!

Latest resources

Back