• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cape Air Grounds Fleet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rumor that I heard was that the the engineers from Lycoming inspected some of the engines and found that the power setting that Cape Air uses in their SOPs is causing a vibration that could be causing alot of the failures. Apparently the power setting of 27in/21rps/90pph (85 now I think) is not found anywhere in the P.O.H. for a cruise setting, nor is the high speed cruise of 29.5in/2450rps/120pph. Although these setting are "approved" by the manufacturer. Best of luck finding and solving the problem.

Kinda true, but some details missed. First off the engines are Continental engines, not Lycoming.

Second, the power and fuel settings Cape Air uses are specifically designed to operate out of normal range for TBO extensions. Awhile back after they standardized their procedures they began tweaking the power settings and fuel flow. When the TBO came up on a specific engine they sent it back to Continental, who disassembled it and miked all necessary parts. When it was shown that the engine was operating normally with no wear they were authorized a TBO increase of 10%. They continued to to this until the TBO had been extended a great amount (can't recall the exact numbers). That is how they arrived at the current power settings and fuel flows. It was all done professionally and through Continental and FAA scrutiny and approval.

Ya... Continental... thats what I meant. Sometimes I type faster than I think. (TSIO520VB to be exact) Either way good for them for doing the safe thing here.

TBO is 2700 hours at Cape Air. I have a feeling that will change.

Last edited:
I just read that Island Airlines is honoring Nantucket Airlines tickets since the Nantucket Airline side of Cape Air was shut down today. I guess the rumors about Island Air and Cape Air really being one company might be true after all.

What is the real problem here? Counterweights do not "wear" They are part of the reciprocating assembly(crankshaft) that balances the engine and come in contact with no moving parts with the exception of oil splashing around. It seems to me a more likely problem is that the crankshaft fails and splits itself in half or a few pieces. Does anyone know the real cause of failure of these engines? HS

Counterweights do not "wear" They are part of the reciprocating assembly(crankshaft) that balances the engine and come in contact with no moving parts
They are moving parts, and they do have bushings that wear.

So are they back up and running or is everyone sitting at Uno's drinking beers?

Lycoming says it's not their fault?....Weird!

About 15 years ago had lifters go out in a Lycoming engone. Lycoming said it was rust build-up due to lack of use and they were not at fault.

We posed the question: What power setting does rust build up on the lifters? The plane was used for flight instruction and flown 4 hours a day.

Lycoming then fixed the problem.

Lycoming says it's not their fault?....Weird!

About 15 years ago had lifters go out in a Lycoming engone. Lycoming said it was rust build-up due to lack of use and they were not at fault.

We posed the question: What power setting does rust build up on the lifters? The plane was used for flight instruction and flown 4 hours a day.

Lycoming then fixed the problem.

Ummm, they are Continental engines. And nobody is ducking blame (yet). The jury is still out on what caused the counterweights to fail. All the talk about power settings is just talk... pure speculation. When they do figure it out you I would not be surprised to see an emergency AD.

In other news, nearly all the engines have been repaired and Cape Air is operating a normal schedule. Apparently they were able to manufacture a special tool which enabled them to replace the parts without removing the engine from the aircraft.

spoke to Gene Smith, no plans to EVER change the C402's, their whole infrastructure is set up around them....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back