can't be worse than this

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

canosoup

Im seriously thinking of becoming a plumber...good money and no down turns in the market!! MAybe make enough to buy a 172 and actually get to fly. Read the NYTIMES article 5/27 on pilot training, looking scary particularily for a new CFI with about 30 dual given.

Worse than what? Welcome to aviation. Get used to it, or get out.

Establishing a career in aviation requires sacrifice. Over the past few years folks have been hired and are flying in some good postions, but these folks have experienced a fluke boom in aviation; not the true picture at all. What you're seeing right now is the reality that many of us have known for much of our careers. Those who really want to fly will stick it out, those that don't can always make more money elsewhere.

It's up to you.

I'm reminded of the time-worn story of the man who listened intently to a brilliant concert pianist play. At the conclusion of the concert, the man met the pianist back stage.

"I would give my life to be able to play as you do," said the man.

"I know." replied the Pianist. "I already have."

How badly do you want it?

ah grasshopper . . .

The most important thing you have to know to be a plumber is that crap runs downhill . . . hey wait a minute, I think that applies to all professions.
Check out my signature; if anyone know the veracity of that statement, it's the Polish (and no, I am not Polish, but I do respect them a lot). Hang around a while in any profession and you'll know it, too.

Get out, unless you change that attitude you'll never make it. That much I'll guarantee. The line I used to tell myself after having slept 4 hours in the attic room I rented, driving to work to give an hour of dual sometimes giving no lessons just being there hoping a new student would walk in, staying at the airport until 9pm, and to do it all over again for poverty wages was "nothing good comes easy". Then you'll move on to something bigger and better. You'll find at each level of the game big drawbacks. You'll also find when you get to your desired career goal that it wasn't that bad. In fact it was some of the best times you've ever had. You'll learn something everyday, and gain the character necessary not to be a pain in the ass in the cockpit. I haven't reached all my goals yet, but I wouldn't change anything I've done up to this point in my career. I had only one more goal left (Capt at a Major) but now I have been given one extra task, survive a furlough. I will, and it will make me appreciate the job that much more, as all the other jobs you do to get to your goal will do for you.

Paying your dues

I agree with the above. Once again, there is no pilot shortage. Hopefully, you weren't seduced by Kit Darby's glorious declarations that forty-thousand pilots would be needed during the next ten years. It's a matter of applying, applying, applying, and persistence. To a degree, Kit is correct that you must be persistent and never give up. Just keep knocking on doors and one will open eventually. I'm sure you've heard all of that, but it bears repeating.

Hard work, patience and personal sacrifice are very much a part of aviation. Just remember that your reward comes when you fill in your logbook at the end of the day each day. Those 1.1s, 1.2s, and 1.3s eventually add up.

Hang in there, just like those who came before you.

Last edited:
I worked as a CFI for 3.5 years in the early 90's during that slow down. Not only that, but it took me 1 year after becoming a CFI to get that job. I worked 6-7 days a week usually from 7am till 8pm (sometimes more or less). It was rough, doing anything for a little more time in a C172 or if I was lucky a Beech Duchess.

Everyone asks themselves the question once in a while, "Is this worth it?" I understand how you feel. Some people I worked with asked that question of themselves and said, "No, it's not worth it." And they went on to other careers and are doing just fine....but most sure do miss the flying. ALL of those that answered, "Yes, it is worth it," have gone on to bigger an better things in aviation and are loving what they do everyday. It requires a lot of dedication, that is for sure. If you don't love it enough to maintain that dedication, do something else.

I've been a CFI, Charter pilot, Corporate pilot, and even flew for a big airline. Well now I am back flying a small Citation under Part 135, and you know what, I still have to pinch myself everyday to make sure that this isn't a dream. I feel so lucky that someone actually pays me to do this for a living. I hope everyone else up there feels the same.

JetPilot500

Latest resources

Back