Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Buschpilot

Large Member
Someone once told me that you can automatically switch frequencies at the FAF if the controller has not instructed you to do so, but I can't find reference to this anywhere.

Anyone know if this is true, or if it once was true?

If approach or center has not handed you off to the tower by the marker, I would and have on numerous occasions just switched over to the tower. I would first attempt to ask approach if they want me on tower. Sometimes they just forgot. but what usually happens is that they get busy with someone else and you just fell through the cracks. If approach is busy, I just switch over. The tower is expecting you. At a large number of airports the approach controller sits right next to the local (tower) controller and hands the strip off early.

I don't believe it is written down any where, but common sense indicates that you need to take the inititive when appropiate. And that situation it appears to be appropriate.

I would switch only if the controller is really busy, other wise just ask. If you are at a small airport where center is the approach control and the tower is VFR only you might cause a moment of confusion by leaving when you aren't instructed to do so. Just ask, they'll clear you. But don't automatically switch.

No, you can't and...yes, you should. Definitely try to tell approach first but if they're too busy, you better switch. It is technically against the rules but the controllers and common sense would prefer it if you switch rather than not. It becomes a safety issue if you don't.

ksu...you must fly somewhere less busy than I. Often, my aircraft could be passing the middle marker or even the airport before I can get a word in to approach. This does not please the tower very much, let me tell you. I agree that if you can tell approach, you should. If not, you can't come bombing in to a controlled field without talking to them. If the controllers forgot the handoff, let them pick up the landline and figure out where you went for themselves.

Last edited:
Just like imminent course passage when intercepting the localizer...if you haven't got word, then ask. In this case, if you haven't been advised to switch over to tower, ask, then switch over.

It's possible that someone is tying up the controller or causing other problems, and for y ou, this is a lost communication system. If you can't talk to the controller because he or she is busy or the frequency is tied, then this is no different than being unable to talk at all.

What will you do in the event you can't talk to the controller at all? You'll switch to the next controller, right? Before trying other options, this is only prudent. Switch to tower, and if tower asks if you were handed off, then advise that you were unable to talk, and at the marker. At the worst, you'll only have to explain yourself, and the approach controller will probably be grateful that you took the initiative to make the switch.

I found if you switch to tower without being handed off becuase of frequency congestion, I just say real quick without alot of talk "FLT # with you for 9R" 99% of the time they say clear to land or your #2 for the runway, they know your coming.

One time going into PDK in a Learjet, ATL APP switches us to tower, we check on with them, they say "continue".

So here we are with about 30 other airplanes on the freq. (couldnt get a word in egdewise) and right about the time we are about to have to go around, we finally were able to get a word in " is Lear xxx cleared to land" she says in a annoyed voice "YES" like we were allready suppost to know.

Im sure it happens everyday, but it lets you know that they are not perfect and can make mistakes.

Bottom line, you have to go with your instinct, make sure you are doing the right thing.

You know, I once did the very same thing...except that I did go around. I was just climbing on the go-around when the tower finally comes up and asks what I'm doing, and the nature of my emergency.

I advised that I had no emergency, but didn't have a clearance to land. Tower told me they expected me to land. The runway was clear, the weather was clear, and here am I going around for no good reason than I lacked the clearance.

My concern then was being violated for landing without a clearance. In retrospect, were I placed in that situation again, I'd land. The question always exists as to weather some situation my be that would make the landing inadvisable...traffic not clear, crossing traffic, intersecting runway, whatever. A valid reason, aside from frequency congestion or sleeping controllers (had it happen) might be applicable.

All the same, if it's visual, I'm more interested in what I see out of the cockpit than what I hear on the radio, and a clear runway ahead is likely a better scenario in the interest of safety than an unnecessary go-around. One must consider all the circumstances, and I'm not advocating any one course of action. However, given the same situation again, based on hindsight, I'd land, and then talk to ground.

Disagree

Avbug,

I disagree with your hindsight. You made the correct decision. Without a landing clearance you did exactly the right thing.

I have gone around in perfect cavu weather and I have gone around with 1800 RVR. But what if I developed the mindset that I am going to make the decision or not on landing without a clearance. The safest thing is without a landing clearance, go around.

I would have told the tower controller if you wanted (expected)me to land, a landing clearance would have been nice.

Fly safe,

Humble

There are times when extreme frequency congestion, a stuck mic, or a radio failure occur in such a circumstance. Rather than try to go around at a busy location with a potential lost comm situation, landing may very well be the safest thing to do. Based on hindsight and seeing the total picture, I would have landed, and will do so if placed in the same situation again.

I had this exact same thing happen in Detroit. Handed off by approach late and couldn't get a word in to tower. We went around and got a good verbal lashing by the controller. What he said was "In DTW when approach hands you off to us, you're automatically cleared to land. We know you're coming." Personally if this ever happens again, I'll go around again. After all the money and years spent working my way up the ranks in this industry, I'm not going to risk a violation based on some controllers verbal assurance.

Latest resources

Back