• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Situation:

Flying from ORD - TUS. Filed ORD - SLI, then filed again SLI-TUS (stop for fuel in SLI). An hour out of SLI you see that you have enough fuel to make TUS without the fuel stop safely. Can you overfly SLI, even though you're only filed to SLI, and continue to TUS?

My concern is that this is a redispatch that requires the associated ops spec in your Ops Specs. I believe this used to be how NWA and those folks got the DC-10s' etc. overseas. They would dispatch to Amsterdamn, knowing full well the flight was going to Moscow...then just out of AMS they would redispatch to Moscow. They couldn't just file/fly DTW-Moscow becasue of 121 fuel requirements...but this separate ops spec allowed a "redispatch enroute." And maybe I'm sniffing too much jet fuel, too - any insight / experience?

AZT

AZ Typed said:
Situation:

Flying from ORD - TUS. Filed ORD - SLI, then filed again SLI-TUS (stop for fuel in SLI). An hour out of SLI you see that you have enough fuel to make TUS without the fuel stop safely. Can you overfly SLI, even though you're only filed to SLI, and continue to TUS?

At my airline we definitely can. We just talk to our dispatchers and hand-amend the release to change the destination (and alternate, if a different one would be more appropriate), enroute fuel burn, divert minimum fuel, etc. If we have enough fuel to do it, it's no problem at all. I've only ever done it if, on a multi-leg flight (multiple cities, same flight number), it turns out that everybody on the plane is going to the second city and we're not picking anybody up.

It's pretty rare for us, but it's happened. Makes the customers extra happy, too; saves them a ton of time skipping the stopover.

We don't get the specific ops specs in our books anymore, so I can't say for sure if there's a special provision that allows this, but we're definitely allowed.

They would dispatch to Amsterdang ...

These nanny-filters are getting a little ridiculous. That's hysterical! :D

All those ops specs and rules are mainly set up for dispatch, just to get you off the ground legally. Once you're airborne, you can ask ATC to change your destination to anywhere you want to go. Of course, you'll have to be above approach mins and adhere to any pertinent NOTAMs to actually land there.

I don't know the legalities outside the U.S.

Under 135 yes did it lots of times, as long as when you land you can show that at the time you changed your destination you had legal fuel, legal new destination, and if required legal alternate. I would get the metars TAFs and notams before I left or call Radio and get them en-route. Under 121 redispatching by the true since of the word “see dispatcher121 post” must be in the ops. spec.. Changing a destination en-route is simply an amendment to the current release that must be coordinated through dispatch, this is not redispatching. On another note never change your destination internationally, unless you have air to ground com. to somebody that can coordinate permits and services “had a jeep parked in front of airplane down in Mexico, until they got $$$$.

Good Luck!!

There is nothing specific to 135 to prevent you from changing destinations enroute for any reason, as long as you have legal fuel and weather. I've even done it on proving flights.

Now, your ops manual may say something different, in which case that is the final authority, but generically it's no big deal.

Where is SLI??

SLI is Seal Beach, California. Just east of Long Beach, and it's a Military base. Kind of out of the way for a flight between O'Hare and Tulsa :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back