Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can you purposely deny a paying passenger boarding based on a grudge???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Let's say, one day you go up to the ticket counter to get paper work on a flight that you're working. You noticed a guy that used to bully you in high school a few years back or jerk co-worker at a former job or a police officer that was taking his "bad cop" role a little too seriously??? I haven't been in that situation yet, however if I was ... I think I would grab that person's ticket, point them out to the ticket agent and tell them that they can ride stand by on the following flight.

When I mentioned this imaginary scenario to a few fellow pilots, they said that would be a bad idea. They said my ego would be getting in the way and the passenger could file a customer complaint. Could you make up an excuse to the chief pilot like "I felt the security of the flight would be at jeopardy (in the case of the bully or cop for example)?" Even if security was not the case, you just wanted to get back.

What about deny dead-heading a jerk co-worker at your present job, when you know their pairing is finished?

Have you faced this scenario? What did you do or what would you do?

What would I do if I held a grudge for things that happened long time ago? I would probably seek help.

If it isn't a "safety of flight" issue you are asking for a big lawsuit from a paying passenger. As for a co worker ect. you will just make a name for yourself as being a A$$. Now if "Scope out RJs" was wanting a ride that would be different. You could deny him since he is quite neurotic and you wouldn't want to be inside a closed cockpit in case he goes off on a psychotic tirade.

Last edited:
I had a fellow pilot make an idiot of himself not too long ago, when he was trying to get home. His insistence on the jumpseat didn't work in his favor. If he wanted to jumpseat again with me today, I wouldn't deny him the ride...as long as our previous history was understood.

We're all prone to make some mistakes we would like to call a muligan. I've made plenty of them myself. Sometimes we're just not thinking. Give a guy a break and be the bigger man.

You probably don't know the whole story on why the guy is an *ss. You just got in front of him when he decided to act out.

You noticed a guy that used to bully you in high school a few years back...

I don't think most captains were in high school a few years back.

While we're on the subject, wasn't there a HAL captain who walked off a flight when he found out the CEO was on board?

Your average business can deny you service if they don't like you, not sure about airlines. If someone thinks they are different I would like to see the regulation or some case law.

This is pure fantasy. Faced with an actual confrontation, the 'lav occupied' light would remain illuminated until everyone was seated.
The worst payback would be making the offending passenger suffer through ear-splitting announcements by F/As and pilots saying "um...um...um" over the PA.

Last edited:
Jesus said "love your enemies." I would let him on..........................unless it was the General of course.;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back