Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can us regional nerds write off sunglasses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is that if you get audited by the IRS, the agent will look at that item and say that the sunglasses can also be used outside of work. Also with the IRS you are guilty unless your prove yourself innocent. I guess if you can show them that you bought a non polarized pair for work and left them in your flight kit and you bought another pair for you car, maybe they would allow it, but IRS Agents are like FSDO's, they don't always agree. One may allow it, another may not.

In my mind it's not even worth trying. A $100 pair of sunglasses will get you back 20 something if you don't get audited. If you do get audited, you may owe back tax, penalty and interest.

Also, just because someone prepares your taxes for you, does not mean you are not responsible for what you claim as deduction. It's still your signature on the return.

So if I get a bunch of Jimmy Hats with the SKYW logo on them can I deduct them? Them 20sumthin' F/As can be HOT!
PBR

So if I get a bunch of Jimmy Hats with the SKYW logo on them can I deduct them? Them 20sumthin' F/As can be HOT!
PBR

Sure, but when wearing one, will you be able to read the full "SkyWest" logo? Luckily, I only need to unwrap to expose "ASA". :blush: You really don't want to have to explain to some gal that you work for "more" than "Sky" Airlines. :0

Last edited:
Sure, but when wearing one, will you be able to read the full "SkyWest" logo? Luckily, I only need to unwrap to expose "ASA". :blush: You really don't want to have to explain to some gal that you work for "more" than "Sky" Airlines. :0

Hahaha...you beat me to it. But if you re-read his post he only said "SKYW" on it; just one letter more than ASA :)

PBR

Count me in on that custom order. Just make sure they're latex free. I know one who's allergic and we don't want to spoil the ride for the next overnight.

What about headsets? I've heard you can and you can't from different people. Obviously you can't use them outside of work, but if you fly for fun on your own you could. So....

What about headsets? I've heard you can and you can't from different people. Obviously you can't use them outside of work, but if you fly for fun on your own you could. So....

Write them off. They're a piece of professional equipment for your job.

Latest resources

Back