Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can us regional nerds write off sunglasses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can write off whatever you want.
The IRS may have issues with some deductions.
Just think of a model. Can they write off their whole wardrobe just because they always need to look good? NO.
If the general public can take a look at you and not know what your job is, you cannot deduct it.
If it is embroiderd with your company logo, it is deductable.
As you noticed, you will hear many answers, do what you feel is proper, and always be willing to answer to our buddies at the IRS.

internet purchases when there's a business center down the hall? seriously. Sunglasses every year? Have fun getting audited and explaining that.

Go rob a bank if you want to bend uncle sam over. It'd be a lot more honorable than that ********************.

I hold a first class medical, got it every 6 months. To hold a medical, I require prescription lenses both prescription and non-prescription. Its required for my job.

Buuutttt,
As a regional pilot, you gotta make enough money to itemize, there isn't a box on the 1040EZ for dorky pilot sunglasses and big pilot watch.
Get real!
HaaaHaaa!
PBR

I most certainly don't need glasses of any sort to clearly see SuperPilot's avatar. Wow, is that what Martha looked like in her youth?

I hold a first class medical, got it every 6 months. To hold a medical, I require prescription lenses both prescription and non-prescription. Its required for my job.

This falls into the same category as haircuts and razors etc. These are all personal expenses that cannot be deducted.

You can write off whatever you want.
The IRS may have issues with some deductions.
Just think of a model. Can they write off their whole wardrobe just because they always need to look good? NO.
If the general public can take a look at you and not know what your job is, you cannot deduct it.
If it is embroiderd with your company logo, it is deductable.
As you noticed, you will hear many answers, do what you feel is proper, and always be willing to answer to our buddies at the IRS.

Hmmmmm...this gives me some creative tattoo ideas.

W

Latest resources

Back