• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Can they fail you???

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Quick question. Can a DE actually fail you for a bad landing? How about about one that actually bounces???

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
I thought you had used up your lifetime allotment of stupid questions.

I was wrong.

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
Total Time
5700+
I can imagine the only way you'd fail a check from a bad landing is if you;

A. Missed the runway all together.
B. Bent the airplane.
C. Both A & B.

Now, if you consistantly land with one wheel nearly taking out the runway edge lights, yeah, you might be busted for that. But, if you bounce a landing and the DE busts you for it, make sure the second bounce finds him/her flying out the door!

2000Flyer

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Yank McCobb said:
Wow. Clever. And original.

You intellect continues to amaze.

Heh heh. And from you my friend, we've thus far only seen a lack thereof.

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
Total Time
A DE can fail you for whatever he deems approapriate within some guidelines and PTS standarsd of course. So if you bounce the heck out of a landing on your private checkride as long as it is "safeish" youll probably be ok, commercial is another story...after a couple hundred landings under your belt you should be passed the bouncers.

mayday1

Total Time
>1
i think there is some criteria to the effect of... if the safe outcome of a maneuver is ever in question and the examiner needs to take corrective action, you're pretty much done. This could happen on a bad landing.

minitour

Almerick07 said:
A DE can fail you for whatever he deems approapriate within some guidelines and PTS standarsd of course. So if you bounce the heck out of a landing on your private checkride as long as it is "safeish" youll probably be ok, commercial is another story...after a couple hundred landings under your belt you should be passed the bouncers.

Agree. Aside from a spin or doing something else dangerous, I don't think it's possible to bust a private SEL ride. I mean...just show you're safe, proficient and can control the airplane.

When you get to commercial SEL...uh...don't bounce. Just don't do it.

That is all.

-mini

front9

Titanium Member
Total Time
Originally Posted by Yank McCobb
I thought you had used up your lifetime allotment of stupid questions.

I was wrong.

Flaimbait from a flamer, good job yank you're a quality guy.

On the other hand

Originally Posted by Yank McCobb
I thought I was heterosexual. I was wrong.

Now thats some funny sheite!

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Total Time
he's probably not going to have you do a regular ol' landing, at least my examiner didn't. he had me do soft field landings and i had to go missed. i screwed my first soft up (accidently hit the brakes) so we taxied back and did another pattern where i had to go missed, and then he said "ok, we're going to do another soft, make it good" so i did and i was done!

navigator72

Total Time
1700+
the quick answer is "YES"

I busted my commercial ride on a f**ked up softfield landing

JAFI

Total Time
8000+
In short - If you are unable to (the satisification of the Examiner or Inspector) complete all areas of the PTS you may not pass the exam. You may want to look at number 2 in the following reference.

JAFI

http://av-info.faa.gov/data/practicalteststandard/faa-s-8081-14a.pdf

page 9

Satisfactory Performance

Satisfactory performance to meet the requirements for certification is

based on the applicant’s ability to safely:

1. perform the TASKs specified in the AREAS OF OPERATION for

the certificate or rating sought within the approved standards;

2. demonstrate mastery of the aircraft with the successful outcome

of each TASK performed never seriously in doubt;

3. demonstrate satisfactory proficiency and competency within the

approved standards;

4. demonstrate sound judgment; and

5. demonstrate single-pilot competence if the aircraft is type

certificated for single-pilot operations.

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
I was told to downgrade your thread, so that is why i am here.

nosehair

Total Time
24/7
UnAnswerd said:
Quick question. Can a DE actually fail you for a bad landing? How about about one that actually bounces???

Now that you've gotten a few "intelligent" responses, I will respond in a similar way as Yank, but with a more tactful approach: What do you mean? What would prompt such a question? Most people in this flying business would, of a natural course of action, be aware that a bad landing would be a failure. The definition of "bad" is described in detail in the PTS.

Are you asking if the examiner can just subjectively judge a landing as "bad" when it meets the PTS requirement?