Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can other airlines see if I washed out of training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regional4life said:
Bigbird,
I seriously doubt if your airline career is over. If you really had problems at home, reasonable people understand that. Have you ever seen the stress level chart? It talks about the greatest stressors in a person's life. Top 5 are something like death, divorce, job change, moving, child birth. If you had a legite reason to leave, and can explain it to your interviewer, you will be fine. All I can suggest is don't pass blame, don't make it look like someone's fault. Just say "I had a problem because of such and such and such". Some places might not take that. But trust me, there are good quality places that look at the big picture and say, "you know what, this guy shouldn't have been in training in the first place with everything going on and I can see why this happened." Just be honest, be ready to explain, and you will be fine. Truly, it's not the end. There are people with DUI's that get on and people who have wrecked airplanes that get on. There are people who can't pass one airline's training, but gained experience and knowledge, and was able to get through another's. Hang in there, don't give up just yet. But most importantly, take care of yourself and get in a good place that's right for you. May God bless and keep the blue side up.

Excellent words of encouragement! Great Post!

Hang in there, you will do fine.

Bigbird,

I dont know exactly how the record keeping works, but i don't think that this will be a problem for you in the future. Judging from your experience, we probably were at the same airline. Your airlne career is not over. Hang in there.

-LDavid

Last edited:
bigbird said:
I was hired by an airline earlier this year and didnt do so well during training. I had some distractions at home and just couldnt focus during the intiail F/O training. I failed my oral and they sent me home. I never took the final checkride. The chief of training told me that this didnt have to be shared with any future employers. I called the FAA and they didnt see any failed checkrides or anything from that airline. So do I need to bring this up in future interviews? Can this be found anywhere else? I would imagine that if it wasnt reported to the faa then I should just leave it alone and not bring it up during a interview. Any suggestions?

Please just be honest about this. Sure you may not get caught but if you do then you have a lot more explaning to do than if you just say I went through training but I had xxx problems at home and couldnt focus clearly. Then tell them your situation is resolved, you now have a clear mind and are ready to finish training. The entire reason PRIA was created was because of things like this. Now I am almost positive that they do have PRIA records for you showing that you failed your oral. Any training done with an airline must be kept on record for 5 years. I honestly dont think they report that to the FAA however there is a file out there at the company that you were in training and left without completing it. I have looked at my PRIA file and it had a breakdown of the ground lessons covered, written exam results, how I did on my oral and checkrides/IOE. I have no idea how a company would be able to access this information without you telling them you worked there and filling out the form. I do know however that people have been burned in the past because of this exact same scenario. I am sure interviewers will understand that you are a human being and were just going through a rough time. It is amazing what background companies can dig up on you... Just remember if you were honest about then you can sleep a lot easier at night. In the end it is your choice just ask yourself this. Is it worth gambling your career for this? good luck

Also on post about "what is on PRIA?"

Just so you know,
On most applications it now states that "Have you ever withdrawn or Failed out of 121 training at another airline?" or something like it. Yes, Pria can only be requested from Airlines that are given to us but Gaps in employment can raise questions. We have later found out that people have failed training elsewhere and they can be terminated for not telling the truth on the application. When you sign the bottom of the application, you are stating that all information is true and correct.

Honesty is the best policy....I would rather explain it in an interview anyday than explain it on the way out the door.

We have hired people in your situation and I know others have done the same.

Good Luck,
PSACPSP

Coming from a union background, I am somewhat familiar with PRIA. I mostly agree with the previous posts so far. Here is what I know:

The bad news--
Yes, you need to report a failure in a 121 (or 142) training program. It is required under PRIA. Even though your former Training Director said this won't show up as derogatory, he is required by the PRIA (which is a federal law by the way) to report your training record, if asked.

Sure you could try to hide this (and there is a small possibility no one would find out), but most likely it would be uncovered in the background process.

The good news--
All the other posts have been very accurate. No one wants a training problem in their record, but you can overcome this. Be prepared to discuss this with your interview board. Tell them what you learned from the situation, how you would be more prepared this time, etc. You can turn this into a positive if you frame it correctly.

I know of several people with much worse events in their background that have gone on to become very successful pilots. There is no reason why you cannot share the same result.

Keep your chin up!

--flier

these guys are all right on the money. I had somewhat of a similar situation. Had some family issues and ended up resigning on the second day of indoc on my first 121 job..Just be honest with them...I didnt flaunt it on ym resume...but dont closet it either.....If its brought up answer them honestly and directly...and remember most of these hr and tech peeps arent out to get you..if your there for the interview...your qualified for the job..im extremely happy it happened actually...im much happier now...good luck..keep pluggin away and youll land on your feet.

Regarding what can be seen on a PRIA depends on the form of record keeping a company has.

If a company still uses paper records, then a PRIA will show EVERYTHING in that person's training file. However most airlines have a form of computerized record keeping system. A PRIA report from this type of system usually shows only the bare minimum (i.e. S, U, P and the date of completion) of a particular training event.

Cosmo1999 said:
Please just be honest about this. Sure you may not get caught but if you do then you have a lot more explaning to do than if you just say I went through training but I had xxx problems at home and couldnt focus clearly. Then tell them your situation is resolved, you now have a clear mind and are ready to finish training. The entire reason PRIA was created was because of things like this. Now I am almost positive that they do have PRIA records for you showing that you failed your oral. Any training done with an airline must be kept on record for 5 years. I honestly dont think they report that to the FAA however there is a file out there at the company that you were in training and left without completing it. I have looked at my PRIA file and it had a breakdown of the ground lessons covered, written exam results, how I did on my oral and checkrides/IOE. I have no idea how a company would be able to access this information without you telling them you worked there and filling out the form. I do know however that people have been burned in the past because of this exact same scenario. I am sure interviewers will understand that you are a human being and were just going through a rough time. It is amazing what background companies can dig up on you... Just remember if you were honest about then you can sleep a lot easier at night. In the end it is your choice just ask yourself this. Is it worth gambling your career for this? good luck

So does the PRIA file at a particular place that you were employed at go away at the five year mark? I thought that thing followed you around indefinitely. I hope it goes away. I was working for Ameriflight and screwed up, and one of the management guys went through my training file and wrote a thesis on why I should've never been allowed past training-and then put it in my training file. And if that wasn't enough he wrote a letter of reprimand to my instructors and put that in my file as well. I was not a bad student. Ameriflight only will write negative things in your training, no neutral or good comments. That way if you screw up they will be able to do a nasty write-up on you in order to limit their liability; that way if you went to another employer and messed up they couldn't come back to Ameriflight seeking damages for not providing info. I think that's an abuse of the PRIA system and I know of another individual it happened to at the same company. The good news is that I got another job, then once I had established employment for a year's time I interviewed at a quality company and explained what happened matter-of-factly and was hired anyway. So to the thread starting guy: you'll find another job if you want it bad enough, keep your chin up.

So does the PRIA file at a particular place that you were employed at go away at the five year mark?

Your training records are your training records and should be kept forever. What happens to them after a company stops flying...who knows..

Most airlines only do a 10 year work history on you, so they will most likely only be requesting the PRIA for the last 10 years.

Latest resources

Back