Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can other airlines see if I washed out of training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigbird

I was hired by an airline earlier this year and didnt do so well during training. I had some distractions at home and just couldnt focus during the intiail F/O training. I failed my oral and they sent me home. I never took the final checkride. The chief of training told me that this didnt have to be shared with any future employers. I called the FAA and they didnt see any failed checkrides or anything from that airline. So do I need to bring this up in future interviews? Can this be found anywhere else? I would imagine that if it wasnt reported to the faa then I should just leave it alone and not bring it up during a interview. Any suggestions?

First of all, the FAA is not going to see any training records from your previous airline. The airline you failed out of will have copies of those failures in your training file. They aren't shared with the FAA unless you failed a certificate ride.

If your next airline wants to see those training records under the PRIA, then yes they will see them.

If you chose to not list them on your next 10 year work history, have a good story for your lack of employment during that period. Some employers won't accept more than a 30 days break between jobs without an explanation.

Whether they can find out or not isn't the issue. I would be honest and tell them what happened. One of my fellow interviewers did this and was hired. He struggled through IOE for unknown reasons but is flying the line now. Another classmate was fired for lying in his application. So I would say honesty is the best policy.

A good friend of mine was in a similar position. He had several outside factors that were weighing on him while he was in training and he probably should have defered his class date. Anyway, he was not recommended for a checkride and was given the option of resigning without a derrogatory remark on his training record. He told me his training records say something like, "Did not complete training". He had to explain this in later interviews but he has since been hired somewhere else and is doing very well.

C425Driver

You have to be able to explain any lapses in employment. I know that you were released from training, but if possible, the best thing to do is submit a letter of resignation that is dated before any possible termination date, (if you can, get it notarized). That way you can always say that you resigned and were not fired.

Maybe my airline pilot career is over...This really stinks because I know I could have passed the training. Just had problems at home and couldnt focus.

bigbird said:
I was hired by an airline earlier this year and didnt do so well during training. I had some distractions at home and just couldnt focus during the intiail F/O training. I failed my oral and they sent me home. I never took the final checkride. The chief of training told me that this didnt have to be shared with any future employers. I called the FAA and they didnt see any failed checkrides or anything from that airline. So do I need to bring this up in future interviews? Can this be found anywhere else? I would imagine that if it wasnt reported to the faa then I should just leave it alone and not bring it up during a interview. Any suggestions?

Just out of curiousity, did you recieve pay for your training? It seems that with some airlines you are not an official "employee" until you pass your checkride.

bigbird said:
Maybe my airline pilot career is over...This really stinks because I know I could have passed the training. Just had problems at home and couldnt focus.

I do not have the experience to comment appropriately, yet I cannot belive your airline career is over. I do not and cannot believe you are the first person this has happened to.

I believe things happen for a reason, although we may not understand it now. Take each day at a time, each hour at a time. Tomorrow is another day, and things will seem better. Something else is waiting in the wings, something that you may not realize right now, yet will be there.

bigbird said:

Bigbird,
I seriously doubt if your airline career is over. If you really had problems at home, reasonable people understand that. Have you ever seen the stress level chart? It talks about the greatest stressors in a person's life. Top 5 are something like death, divorce, job change, moving, child birth. If you had a legite reason to leave, and can explain it to your interviewer, you will be fine. All I can suggest is don't pass blame, don't make it look like someone's fault. Just say "I had a problem because of such and such and such". Some places might not take that. But trust me, there are good quality places that look at the big picture and say, "you know what, this guy shouldn't have been in training in the first place with everything going on and I can see why this happened." Just be honest, be ready to explain, and you will be fine. Truly, it's not the end. There are people with DUI's that get on and people who have wrecked airplanes that get on. There are people who can't pass one airline's training, but gained experience and knowledge, and was able to get through another's. Hang in there, don't give up just yet. But most importantly, take care of yourself and get in a good place that's right for you. May God bless and keep the blue side up.

I would be honest. If you try and hide it it will come back to get you. Nobodys perfect and things happen. I think employers will appreciate your honesty.

Latest resources

Back