Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Brasgaucho

Hello to you,

I am an permanent resident here in the U.S. originaly from Brazil who spent half of my life in this country. Two years ago I graduated from an aviation college in Anchorage AK and I have been working for the past two years as a CFI in order to built sufficient hours to get hired by a regional airline; I finally got the hours.

A couple of days ago I got a phone call from a reputable regional airline here in the U.S. calling me to schedule an interview, halfway through the conversation the recruiter realized that I am not an U.S. citizen bringing everything to a screeching halt due to a new law that does not differentiate between permanent U.S. residents with green cards which is my case and foreign nationals coming to America for training for aircraft over 12,500 pounds.

This new law is hurting a descent permanent resident like myself who have trained two U.S. navy Seals, two U.S. Air Force pilots, and many other Americans how to fly. Furthermore, It also hurts my wife and son who are both U.S. citizens.

Sincerely,

OM

I have been here for 18 years. I wanted to wait until I had a kid in this country in order to became a citizen; our son Lucas was born two months ago. Until now the only disavantage of not being a citizen was the right to vote and if I was stranded in some remote part of the world the U.S. government would not worry about rescuing me.

I am in the process of becaming one now, but, with the current situation looks like it will take some time for that to happen.
Anyway, I was was just venting yesterday, I m not the tipe who comes here from some place else and start to demanding a bunch of crap, I play by the local rules. I am just anxious to get my career roling after a huge sacrifice my wife and I have been through.

Regards,

OM

Do you have to be a US citizen to fly for a US airline now? I know plenty pilots who are not citizens of the US that fly 121 in the US.

Latest resources

Back