• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can a pilot upgrade a Pax?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got to agree with AirTran. If there's a business class seat available, they will offer it. If there's not, they're usually very apologetic and will still make sure you're well taken care of. I ride them all the time and they are by far the best!

Had a full fare coach ticket on CAL. Just happend to know the FE (DC10). After they closed the door, one of the FAs came back to my seat, and said that we (my wife and I), "were in the wrong seats". Put us in First Class. I was told that once the door is closed, its the captains decision to upgrade who he wishes.

This was 10 yrs ago.

I've had great luck on American. The gate agent had difficulty pulling me up in CASS, and I thought I would be left out. The captain came up to the gate after he could see the exchange I had with the agent, and wondered what the problem was. He took out his cell phone, called their dispatch office and asked for their jumpseat person. He had taken my info, and was able to list me for a seat in the back. He then put the agent on the phone, and was instructed on how to use cass. He took a minute or two delay, but said it's unacceptable that gate agents don't know how to do their job. Props to American for taking care of people. Gate agent gave me coach, captain cleared with the number 1 FA and let me sit in first. Not too shabby at all.

Denied

As far as denying passengers, look at the ICAO Conventions...particularly the Tokyo Convention. These clearly define the Captain's authority in regards to passengers denial, deplaning, and restraint. Believe it or not, they are pretty liberal rights...the Captain has much authority and immunity.

...and notice the conventions refer to the Captain as the Commander.:rolleyes:

As far as denying passengers, look at the ICAO Conventions...particularly the Tokyo Convention. These clearly define the Captain's authority in regards to passengers denial, deplaning, and restraint. Believe it or not, they are pretty liberal rights...the Captain has much authority and immunity.

...and notice the conventions refer to the Captain as the Commander.:rolleyes:

Apples and oranges. You are talking about deplaning a passenger because of unruly behavior and you are correct, here in Japan your word in a case like this is final. The thread started with the notion of upgrading a passenger to first class and sure, we are referred to as "commander" around here when you are the PIC, but like somebody else mentioned before. Get ready to explain your actions when you get back from your trip because at the end of the day it is NOT your name on the aircraft registration.

Apples and oranges. You are talking about deplaning a passenger because of unruly behavior and you are correct...

One thing you can't do is deny boarding to a passenger because he wouldn't let you cut ahead of him in the coffee line. Your employer will frown on that.

Ask me how I know.... :0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back