Can a pilot upgrade a Pax?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Who really controls the cabin? Is it ultimately the Captain? Like Pax upgrades and denial for boarding etc. Just curious.

What airline?

I'm pretty sure it all depends on the airline...for example AA has a line drawn from the cockpit door forward that the pilots control and from the door back that the FA's control...unless the airplane is at a gate then the gate agent controls it...for the most part anyway.

At TWA the Captain could upgrade anyone he wanted. A true Captains airline. I think there is less and less of that now anywhere.

I don't know if I'm allowed to but I upgrade people. It's almost always troops going to or from Iraq that I upgrade

Touchy, but if there is a good repoire (?) between the front and the cabin, it can happen.

Agents have their rules and won't upgrade.

If a friend (rev pax) is in the back, you can ASK the Lead F/A if its OK. They'll usually say OK if the plane was going out w/ room in front.

Over a year ago I was jumpseating along with an American MD80 FO on a United 757 out of OMA. The other guy and me were the last ones to board. We were issued seats in the back, but as always we made our way to the cockpit to introduce ourselves and make sure it was okay to hop a ride to ORD.

The CA was a great guy who told us to grab seats in first class. The whole first class was open, so we thanked the CA and sat up front... Well, the gate agent came on board and saw that and freaked out. She yelled a us and the FA's who were apparently new hires. Well, we were forced to go sit in our assigned seats.

Im sure the CA would have wanted us to tell him about this gate agent. However, we were guests on the airplane and didnt feel it was right to cause a sceen and stir up more drama. We figured it was best just to have the flight go out on time.

Looking back, maybe we should have told the CA? I know that I would have wanted to know if I were him. This gate agent in OMA does have a reputation amongst most commuters. It would have been nice to see her put in her place!

As of now (well, its been about a year since I've commuted out of there), but this one gate agent in OMA has the final authority!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back