• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL's Gordy B on Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
David Neeleman, however, drives a mean tug.

Picture this---

It's snowing like a dog at JFK this past winter, and the jetBlue Captain activates the interphone to talk the ground techs in preparation for the pushback.

"Cockpit, ground. How are you doing today, Captain?" a somewhat familiar voice rings over the intercom.

"Uh, great. Who is this?"

"David"

"Uh, David?" asks the Captain, a bit confused. This voice--it sounds like someone he has heard before, but he can't quite place it. Suddenly, the Captain's mind makes a quick face association..."uh, David Neeleman?"

"Yeah, it's David! I'm ready to go whenever you are!"

How many CEOs take the time to get out and find out what's happening first hand?

I wasn't there for this story, but heard it first hand from the Captain in question.

Yes, only time will tell, but my first and foremost thought about jetBlue is this: if I had the wherewithall, time and money to set up an organization, the JB model is what I would have selected. It is how I tried to run my squadron in the AF--with planning, communication and a sense of teamwork.

I'm not knocking ANYBODY else out there: there are plenty of great airlines on the market and each offers their own blend of style and substance. I, however, am happy to be where I am.

Success

Imagine that!

A CEO that gets away from his his desk and goes out to see things for himself. I bet he even talks to his employees! Sounds like another great and familiar airline that's been aound since 1971? I think jetBlue will be another success story. Best wishes and fly safe.

:cool:

well...
Im NOT an airline pilot or a fan of riding on the airlines...but..
why is JETBLUE doing so well, compared to the likes of Continental??
well, as a paying customer i can say i have used both and JETBLUE is a 1000X better experience....I will take a limo to JFK and relax anyday before dealing with the biggest armpit in the world (KEWR) that has to be the most disqusting airport in ther US, nice collection of folk working for all the airlines there... Ride on Jetblues new leather seats or Continentals ratty junk??? not hard to decide there either...and those headrest TVs???? well, Im sold...
to top it off, in my companys eyes, the last minute fares are often 50% less on Jetblue....that MORE than covers the 200$ limo ride, thanks.......
Keep EWR and Continental. Jetblue is simply the least painful airline to ride, keep up the good work jetblue folks, I hope it goes well.
now if only you guys flew to DFW area...

Gulfstream,

Stand by for new destinations. Apparently the guys are discussing where they'll expand next. We'll all taking bets, and wishing ourselves. I think the announcements are supposed to be late summer but don't hold me to that. I kind of glossed over that part of the welcome brief when I heard the profit share was 13.5% last year.

CEO comparison

David Neeleman (CEO) and Dave Barger (our President and COO) have regular meetings with employees of all types in New York and throughout our stations. They also both meet each new class in Miami and David teaches Airline Economics 101 to explain to neophytes why we are making money. David has trown bags, checked in passengers, and done ID checks during the peak holiday seasons. When he flies around the system, he almost drives the FAs nuts by handing out snacks and gripping and grinning with the customers. Brilliant, inspired leadership. I trust them and would follow them wherever they want to go. I'm proud to have them at the helm!

Continental? All I can say is take a look at ExpressJet's IPO. Raising money to pay Continentals debt. Where to I send my check--NOT! I'm sure Bethune was trying to boost the IPO. It's like my momma always used to say, "Insulting somebody else doesn't make you a better person." Apparently lots of other people saw through the smoke screen, too. All his comments did was hurt his own credibility.

We have seen doubters at every step. Kennedy used to be dead for domestic traffic. Now jetBlue is the #1 domestic carrier at JFK. Long Beach used to be a "dead" airport. Now we are fighting off American and Alaska for slots we own and promised to fill when nobody else wanted to go to Long Beach. We are able to make a profit where others have tried and failed. Sounds like a formula for long term success to me. Of course, time will tell, but my money is with jetBlue and I couldn't be happier!

$200 for a limo???? Cal Olmypic Limosene or any of the other that advertised in the NYC visitor guides. They charge just a little more for a stretch than a cab ride! Best bargain in town! Save some money and fly more JetBlue!

I don't work for JetBlue....yet =)...but my girlfriend is a flight attendant there... As far as I can tell EVERYONE at JetBlue seems to be happy....they didn't lay off anyone after 9/11 and in fact my girlfriend started f/a class on 9/15 and even caught a ride with another trainee down to Ft. Lauderdale with the big boss himself because they're flight was later than everyone elses..

I think Bethune is just a suit who's stuck on himself thinking that his airline is the best... Every captain and fo i've met or had dinner with at JetBlue has been nothing but nice and never had one bad thing to say about my regional flying A$$...

Top notch company I say....

Gordo's comments don't surprise me. He's typical of the current crop of major airline CEO's who don't show much class and public recognition of a competitor that has proven itself rather well over the last two years. The ONLY exception to this is Herb Kelleher who spoke admirably about David Neeleman and jetBlue during a business interview a few months back. That doesn't surprise me either, considering Herb's head and shoulders above all his peers (among the majors). He also knows David Neeleman better than anyone else among the rival gang of CEOs. Therefore, I value his opinion far more than G. Bethune's.

Bethune as probabally giving his honest assessment. It just shows that most managers JUST DON'T GET IT. They really don't seem to understand why a company like JB can succeed, so they assume that the other company won't succeed.

regards
8N

BTW, After extended talks with ScareBus, Spirits' owner reported to the MEC, that the rumors of JetBlues "sweetheart" deal were untrue.
Spirit was looking to buy Buses before 9/11 and the owner who is a qualified dc9 captain, was reporting to the pilots on how the talks were going.

Was Spirit ever owned by Comair or has Ned kept it privately held? I found this on dalpa.com:

Doesn't the Comair purchase of Spirit Airlines show our domestic Scope Clause to be ineffective?

Actually, just the contrary is true. As you will recall, we filed suit in Federal Court last year over ASA's purchase of BAE 146s based on a violation of the status quo. The courts ruled against the status quo issue and remanded the case to the System Board. Since Comair's acquisition, Delta management has already publicly stated that based on the new Scope Clause, these DC-9s cannot and will not be used in a code-sharing environment with Delta. There is a comprehensive flyer out dealing with this subject in more detail.

Are there two Spirit Airlines out there?

joe

Latest resources

Back